cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: BTO?

Ha! Lol at the broke comment making more happy than sad!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I guess I know two BTO.  One is in Illinois and is a good friend because he is a fellow pilot.  He is sharp on marketing and is big enough and well enough funded that he buys in bulk.  He has two RTK 24 row planters and other equipment similar.  He and his wife are genuinely as nice a kind of people as you can wish to meet.  I don't know anyone who speaks ill of him.  He is my friend.

I know another local fellow in his early forties who some would call a BTO.  He is very energetic and is always busy doing something on the farm.  He rents a lot owns some, does a lot of custom work and is always the last guy done in the fall.  He has always been forthreight and honest with me and has given me good service when I've used him.  Some speak ill of him but some of that may be jealously and some of it may be family.  He's done OK by me.

I think whenever someone calls someone else a BTO, there is both fear and jealously in the speakers voice.

I know other farmers who are not BTO who have ruined their own land and any they can rent by poor husbandry practices.  Some have gone broke and harmed their family through laziness or bad habits.  Not all small or family operations are peaches and cream. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

There is another 3 letter "word" for that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I guess if someone has the desire and the skills to be a "BTO" then fine let him do it,   I'm not one for renting away from other guys but I know it gets done.  

I get talk about in other counties cause I dont' farm enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! according to some, I hear people talk about me, 

I've tried to rent some ground one across the road was a secret,   There was some behind the scenes business,   The land lord wrote up a lease that his current renter, or nobody would sign. 
There is another story about him, really don't know if i shoudl put that on an international media site.....

then there are some guys that rented some ground this fall, they farm LIKE THEY THINK THEIR BTO's

Its the rumor that they can't make the payments at the bank. So BTO really means nothing to me,

I know what I want to do, and I know what it takes to get there, thats all that matters to me.   

This actually happen around home here, someone forget to plant an 80 once,,,,They have since gone broke, everyone called them BTO's,

BTO's can fail or succeed, depends on how they get to the title BTO.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

if you run a 36 row planter or two 24's and can't get your planting done by June 1st. Or you have your business card posted on the information board at your local funeral home. Or the local coop shuts down on certain days just to take your corn at harvest. Heres a good one!! nieghbor wants to pay to take the fence lines out inbetween your land so he can grab 2 or 4 more rows into your side and when some one comes to visit his farm he explains that he owns all of it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Well jim, it boils down to you don't go from 1,000 acres to 10,000 acres without stepping on a lot of toes and in many cases screwing over local businesses to the point that emplyees at a local jd dealer walk away from the counter til he leaves...true story.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I have seen where the grain terminal shuts off all trucks to receive 1 farmers corn when they were about full before. Needless to say, they lost a handful of customers that day.
-I don't think BTO is the term we use for the large acreage guys we like. I have a neighbor to my east, 5000+ acres, 100% ethical, well liked by everyone. And going the other way, a guy who farms 6000? All owned. None rented
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I would define a BTO as to how many bankruptcies they have had.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There are several folks in our area with larger sized operations. I don't think ill of any of them. I don't know their [personal finances nor do I want to but I would rate them as very good operators.

I don't understand the mindset of those that berate the BTO's. Aren't they just like other people that expand and have a good deal of success. We americans applaud success whether it be Bill Gates Warren Buffett or Steve Jobs. Some are really impressed with the acheivement of Rush Limbaugh. Do we hate people because they are successful or is there petty jealousy involved.

Now true it may be logical to dislike anyone for various reasons. Dislike because of their competitiveness is illogical. We all compete as best we can and I don't think that is a character flaw to be a competitor. 

Deciding what is too much is subjective. For some it might be a thousand acres. For others 3000 or 5000 or 10000. It would depend on what is the norm in your area. It should become a thorn in ones side but a challenge to learn how to compete.

I really don't know what drives one to become super large in his field. I've been able to become a large farmer at the kitchen table, but it really isn't a great accomplishment. Alot harder to lose it. Lbs not acres.

I think it is sad that so many are bothered by others growth. Just focus on what you want to do yourself and how to get there. It's a waste of time and energy to fret about such things. Just build your own businesses based on your wits and abilities and stop thinking of excuses for your failures or lack of success.

That's my advise to the complainers. I think real success is finding contentment in who you are and what you have acheived.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

I don't think we should bash a BTO on this sight. Farming is a business. I have never rented a farm underneath a person unless the landlord came to me and wanted to know what his farm is worth. Coming to me in the first place tells me he's not getting a fair shake from his tenant. Can you blame a landlord for not wanting more money? I think a good dialogue between renter and tenant is crucial. If you have a sweetheart deal be aware.

0 Kudos