cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Big Tract Operators

My brother, a shy, gentle man had the saying "it takes four generations from rags to riches to rags"

The only difference to smokeyjay is the fourth generation. he thought that generation would be too spoiled to even do anything. then the process had to start over again.

then there was the old Chinese proverb where  "Wealth never lasts more than three generations"

He realized that there were exceptions to any rule

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: If I was the guy in Rhode Island

that won the 325 million in the power ball last night, land prices would have gone up in Iowa this next year. I would give half to Obama and the rest would go into prime farm land for my kids.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: BTO?

Hey, where did the 75¢ and a multi-generation farm comment go? You realize you were gonna get a lil' flack for that? Or did your wife see it and you don't have Internet out there in the doghouse?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Was it from idalivered? Anybody remember? It was between Kay and smokeyjay's comments.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Big Tract Operators

There are exceptions to every rule.  Sometimes it takes three, sometimes four, sometimes more, but from a historical perspective, the general rule seems to be about three. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Wheel,

I noticed the "poof" also.  can't remember who it was.

Thanks for redirecting this thread and keeping the humor alive.------I been wanting to see this one for a long time---------new it would be good.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I guess I couldn't see abusing you for your pride, so I deleted it. You can't eat proud or pay bills with it, and 6 months after I'm dead only my heirs will care about how much property I owned. It might be cool for you or anyone to inherit or continue farming old family property, but if i pay for it, that old name don't show up on the property tax bill. just mine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I guess that's just difference in opinion, and that's fine. I doubt i am the only one who feels something different when working family acres compared to running the same tractor and equipment across rented or newly purchased acres. Just knowing my Great-great-great grandfather plowed the same field and so have the other generations in between gives me a feeling of pride when working it or driving by it. I can remember being a kid riding with my grandpa in that very field. I can remember that old junk equipment we used to drag across those fields, and be glad it is not like that anymore. Legacy ground is different. It is to me anyway.
0 Kudos