cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Big Auctions coming.

It`s been years since these consignment sales have been this big.  Farmers need cash, I recall in the 80`s there were huge consignment sales, farmers selling extra duals, augers and row cultivators.

Here`s a couple samples of sales coming up..Dexter had a big sale this spring and lookit the one they have lined up now.

http://www.hamiltonauctioncompany.com/hamiltonBill.cfm?bID=hamilton1509070901&rad=whbaav368kqx7dlcwv...

Sapp`s sale had been small for a few years now, but boy oh boy they been gittin` alot of stuff...high priced stuff too.

http://www.hallbergauction.com/auction/256542/sapp-machinery-auction/

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Advisor

Re: Big Auctions coming.

I hope Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp have their guitars tuned up and ready to go. Honey, grab me another bottle of Geritol.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I see Duwa's semi-annual sale in Wellman scheduled in September has a pretty good bill already and a number of newer big items.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I wonder if those tractorcades to Washington DC will make a comeback?

Spoiler
Spoiler
On the road again, can't wait to get on the road again........🎶
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Concert is in Chicago on the 19th of September this year.  Our turkey legs will be served at the concessions.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I wonder if we could see $2 corn again?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

What do  you think?  Will there be plenty of buyers - farmers with money waiting to pick up some bargains?  Maybe some who deferred grain sales last year and are facing a big tax bill t his year?

If you were in the buying mood, what would be on your prospect list?

I think one of the factors we've seen over the last 10 years is the amount of smaller equipment selling as older farmers sell out.  We see a few big grain carts, but they go for good money and we see a fair number of 200 and 300 bushel gravity wagons.

There are some newer combines but htere are a lot of older mid-size machines as well.

Perhaps the auciton bill reflects local conditions so my observations probably don't apply around the country.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Good opportunites for the young guy that has a few bucks and wants to upgrade his equipment line. Local dealer had a fire sale on red combines, and reduced them by about half to reflect auction conditions and move the units that had been sitting for two years or more.Went to a local auciton and bought five items when I just went to see if they had a  hay rake. Should have purchased more, but I already have about three full lines of equipment getting older in machine sheds and taking up space. Things are bringing about fifty cents on the dollar of what they would have brought two years ago.

The general mood in the coutry is pretty bleak right now....one large farmer told me that "Farming isn't much fun right now". I guess it is about postioning....those that bit on $10,000 per acre farmland are going to find out the lesson of buying high and selling low that we learned in Econ 101. My economics professor was a tightwad like me, and drove to class on a bicycle, and even wore a funny hat. I don't know if he ever hit it big in stocks and made good money, but I bet he died with a lot of equity as he never gave it away easily. Out of a class of over 100, the professor only dished out a single digit number of A's, he was that tight fisted.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Red, 

I'm not in the market for much, myself, but am going to have to buy a pickup so if there is a steal I would bid.  Well, there are one or two items, but I'd have to get a really good deal on them.  

There are probably others in the same boat.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I`m setting pretty good on equipment right now, when I had money...by God I spent it.  Now, that I`m back in Realville, I`m at the outter edges of my mechanical ability in making repairs.  I may be a little weird on this, but I kind of love this challenge of figuring this all out how to survive.

Consignment sales this spring like the one at Dexter went higher than heck.  I think if a guy needs something and you find a good used one, you better buy it, cause they ain`t makin` many of the new one`s especially for a smaller farmer.   I`m always in the market for grinder/mixers and manure spreaders and silage equipment.  There aren`t many new manufacturers of grinder mixers anymore, Gehl and my old favorite Farmhand are gone.  Livestock guys have been raked over so much the last few years, they don`t buy new, they have silage custom chopped and manure custom pumped or hauled.   It`s hard to find a 2 or 3 row pull type chopper or a 200 bushel manure spreader that isn`t from the Reagan administration and all rusted out. 

Those looking to buy a 9500 or 9600 or 1680 combines and you look them over good, I think it`ll be a buyer`s market for a quiet a while.

0 Kudos