cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Advisor

Re: Big price at land rent auction? nwobcw

You know, I think maybe hopefulness is what is the element of a liberla tha disappears as you turn more towards conservatism. 

Liberals thinnk that if you give someone a hand, they will see it as a hand up, will elevate themselves out of the gutter you found them in , and make a great effort to improve their life.  I was a very liberal teenager, I guess. 

The longer I live, the more I see it that if you give someone a hand, they see it as a handout they wre owed to start with, and just lay back and wallow in their own excrement puddle of a life.  I am probably a pretty conservative midde-aged adult. 

It probably took forty years for the transformation thus far.   I feel it is not complete, that I am still moving away from being a sucker.  It is kind of sad to think that growing up means growing to be less hopeful, isn't it? 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I think this is a very slippery slope ---would one call Pell grants a wallow--I suspect not ! !

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Kay --what do you think the expense of decommissioning a pit would be ?

0 Kudos
fernwood
Frequent Contributor

Re: Big price at land rent auction?

Just finished reading all of the comments on this topic and they are interesting, to say the least.  

Regarding the 80's being similar to today, I can partially agree.  In my part of the world the late 70's and early 80's were a time of farm expansion fueled by PCA's liberal credit policies.  There was a lot of heavy leveraging going on back then.  I don't think that is nearly as prevelant today.  There is a lot of cash in the farm sector and most of the equipment and land that I see being purchased is being done so with a lot of cash up front, but that is just around where I live.  

Far as people driving up land rents that is their right.  I was criticized by some many years ago for buying land at what seemed to be too high of a price.  Have been fortunate and things worked out well.  Guess it all gets back to ones perspective on farming.  Is it a business?  If it is then decisions are made based on the financial data.  If not, emotions rule .  Neither party is going to agree with the other but they do need to respect each others right to feel the way they do.  They both just need to understand where the other is coming from so that they do not waste each others time debating the subject.                

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

It depends.  I've attended two differetn community colleges withitn a half-hour of our home.  The first time I became cognizant of the influence of Pells, I was on campus one day, and when I went back the next, thought I had accidentally come in on a holiday.  When I asked the instructor what was up, he said, "Pell checks went out yesterday." 

It is a given on campuses here.  Most students here are on grants.  Colleges actually track the pecentage of students they retain after checks go out.  I do not see how the ones i'v[e attended coudl claim anythgin above 50% course completion.  Many classes drop to a half or far less of their enrollments at that point. 

So, I would say Pell grants can be just another racket. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

Please define what you mean...a deep pit house?  Lagoons are closed based upon volume, and I have never priced the action.  It is very expensive due to the size of the containment as a rule. The goal is to reduce to less than two-tenths of a foot of sludge in the bottom.  That allows NRCS to certify the lagoon as inert. 

I have seen some exeprimental closures with the actual sludge left in the lagoon, cover soil pushed over it, and colse rows of whips of hybrid poplars planted to take up the nutrient.  That's actually a form of biomass conversion, from manure to biomass trees.  I do not think the process has caught on, and there ar ereally no endusers for the wood yet.  (There's a similar test spot on my resarch farm in VA, to utilize biosolids from sewage treatment plants, so i did a little research on the subject a few years ago.) 

I have never heard of anyone "decommissioning" a pit house.  If what's in the pit is dry, you should be able to spread it as dry manure.  That may or may not engage regulations.  If it's wet, you'd need to work with NRCS to answer your question...I guess analyze it, pump and land apply with a comprehensive nutrient management plan.  NRCS may have some contact info on contractors in yrou area who do this type of work. 

Come back with more info, and I can make a phone call to see what it costs here.  Of course, that may be entirely different than there....

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I have personally known students from around here that have used Pell successfully and needed the extra boost and I guess it can be abused by students as well as business---most every goverment program has been taken advantage of sooner or later  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Philosophically, I think the Pell grant program is a great concept.  In practice as I have witnessed it, it is just one more scam opportunity for the wrong type, and the system that thrives on the money that flows through them.  Just my honest opinion....

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

I understand precesly what you mean.   I have a situatioin where I've trid to be nice, but have reached my limits...have always said, "I am, nice, but not TOO damned nice."

Property owenrship comes with responsibilities, and as long as you meet them, you gain a few rights to make it worth your trouble.  One of those is to rent to whom you see fit for whatever the two parties can agree upon.  No one is obligaed to rent to someone at a loss or for less than the traffic will bear.

That said, Mike and I rent some houses out cheaper than absolutely necessary, but we know the people and do not need to beat every last cent out of them  They do not destroy our rentals...houses or land, care for the property is a cost factor, too. 

Also, our turnover is less frequent,. since they have a nice place to live for less than similar properties rent for in that area.  Top rent can sometimes cost you more than reasonable rent in the long run.

The end result of this whole financial meltdown is that there will be far more renters and fewer owners, whether for homes or for land.  More consolidation of real assets is not really a good thing. 

0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

I can remember getting a letter from PCA back then encourging me to buy land.  Enclosed were charts showing how land could be cash flowed with I think $2.50 corn.   Since I was just getting started farming and would have little to put down I probably would have only farmed the land they wanted me to buy for a few years.

0 Kudos