cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Big price at land rent auction?

An example of that Kay:  A landlord has rental house on his property  in the same rental price range as 1 I have on my place.  He gets $100 a month more than I do.  For the 6 years I have farmed his place there is a different renter every year.  My renters average 3 years here and 1 stayed 6 years.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Advisor

You will average a month of lost rent for every turnover, add on cleanup costs, new paint,etc... May have to carry utility bills in the interim until the new renter starts paying for heat, to keep pipes from freezing, stuff like that. 

I have yet to see any one who flipped tenants frequently actually profit more from it. 

0 Kudos
fernwood
Frequent Contributor

We have the same philosophy on rental houses.  We rent for less than the going rate in an effort to get good people who will be long term renters and take care of things.  Thus far it has worked well for us.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

I'd have three guesses who was bidding or who got the top bid if they were from Indiana. Are they from  Brighton?  Ashley?  or Stroh?  My spouses grampa lives just north of there between Camden and Reading.  That would be tough dirt to eak out a living.  But at these grain prices $300's per acre rent make more sense than getting paid to farm it just a few years ago.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Belarus I would GUESS they are from Ashley being the closer BTO, but Im not sure yet. I know who you are talking about and Ill let you know when I find out.

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

If I was to guess, which all I'm doing is guessing and it doesn't make me any difference, I'd guess the big seed growers by Brighton/Cedar Lake, the BTO that you can see off the interstate north of Ashley, or the Attorney just south and west of Stroh.  But I don't get over to the other side of Stueben county to see who is shaking things up over that way.  All jokes aside, I think all three of them could handle that kind of acres with no issues even if they are 30-45 miles from home.   All of them rent ground in my area and take good care of it.   I wish I had 1700 acres next door for rent for $300 an acre. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
nwobcw
Advisor

They will get 6 feet like everyone else when it's all said and done, like everyone else.  Maybe 7 or 8 feet cuz they always "wanted more ground".

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

There is nothing wrong with being big in business just the same as being big doesn't make someone better.  What is wrong in our country is the government not ensuring everyone has a fair shake.  

In my case its funny cause I get it from people out of both sides of their mouth.  I'm so "small and abnormal" because of what we do but its also terrible that I have a dozen (very hard working) hispanic employees. 

I've known John for a long time.  I don't have any idea why anyone would want to get that big but he does a good job.  My kids play sports against Stoy's.  Seem like good people.  They rented some ground about 2 miles north of me and it sure looked like they did a good job taking care of it.  I went to school with the family from Stroh that is renting ground all over the place.  You couldn't ask for nicer people. 

I don't understand why it seems to be human nature that we want to make ourselves feel better by dragging others down.  In the America of the past we wanted a rising tide to raise all ships.  I want to do well and I want the rest of agriculture to do well.  Our rural communities need a long run of farmers making good money because rural America has got way behind the rest of the society.   

muddymiller
Frequent Contributor

When my oldest was in college, he recieved a Pell grant. When the check came in, he walked to the finacial aid office, they slid the check across the counter, he signed it and they pulled it back and applied it to his acct.  Good program, no abuse.

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Veteran Advisor

Belarus where are you farming? I farm just north of Orland. I don't have a problem with the BTO's in this area, they have never done anything to hurt my small operation but they do make things hard to expand when you're a young guy. The repercussions of bidding that high on marginal ground could come back to bite someone. Now all that farmers landlords could want a significant raise. Sometimes just doing business can come with a price.

0 Kudos