cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Bill Gates and ag research dollars

it was humorous to read the article stating Mr.Gates view that more needs to be spent on reasearch to help starving people overcome malnutritrion. Thats great but the way he envisions leaves me wondering if he knows what he is talking about. Investing in researh would increase the food supply thru better seeds which increase yields and make food cheap again. Those are his words! Hmmm wouldn't it be better to bring the third world UP with JOBS so that they can afford food like the rest of us do? they would also enjoy a much better way of life than all the pain and suffering they are experiencing now? isn't it better to teach a person how to fish instead of giving them the fish to eat?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Bill Gates and ag research dollars

It's interesting in that you want to give jobs to the impoverished people of the world so that they can buy food. In this country so many want to keep wages low or lower as we are too shortsighted to consider that those people are our customers as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Since research (and jobs) is his background, I could see that. 

I am pretty sure the toils of our labor is muched owed to better seed, drought resistant, etc.  Thanks in part to hundreds of colleges, universities and companies that work to increase yields over a variety of situations, including near desert conditions.

True, he probably doesn't have a clue about farming,  but at least he is bringing more attention to possible future markets, and mouths.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

My impression is that he is taking the Borlag approach, which is that better seeds and practices make more food grown at the local level.  That will automatically create jobs in transportation, processing and so forth.

0 Kudos