cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smokeyjay
Advisor

Re: Borlaug Dialogue: Why is it important?

Everybody has a few warts.  George Washington owned slaves.  So did Thomas Jefferson.  Martin Luther King was a lady's man.  Are we ready to tear down their monuments?  Not hardly.

The x-generation are influenced by things that in time will disappear into the dust as well.  That should not minimize those who rise to the top and do great things. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

We are all products of the time and place we are born into.  It is usually a compliment for someone to be termed "ahead of his time"; but, those people who are  tend to have a tough go of it in their lives, in some way or another. 

I think there is a lot of rearview mirror judgment of people who have made momental contributions to the objectives of their day, only so see that those goals may have been counterproductive in the longer run.  What passes for progress today may be seen as a serious blunder not very long afterwards. 

Nobel himself founded the prizes out of guilt for his invention of dynamite, right? 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Spoiler

To be honest, Jeff, I had never heard of the Borlaug Dialogue and the World Food Prize before.  I have, fo course, read bits about Borlaug and his innovations in the press over the years. 

I guess we have to consider that in a nation witha generally secure adn safe food supply, we are lulled into a sense of complacency about this topic, although I did post about food-insecure households in America here a while back.  It is a subject that tends to polarize along political lines pretty quickly. 

I am sure there are some who might opine that Borlaug contributed to global warming  climate change, by ensuring the survival of that additional billion humans.  Of course, that number extrapolates to even more as time passes.  We are an invasive and destructive species, from a lot of perspectives. 

We are witnessing public demonstrations across the globe today, in relation to the concentration of welth into fewer hands, leaving more and more in less than secure circumstances.  It  is sort of sobering to consider how the world's people will have decent, sufficient food, clean water, and ways to shelter themselves from the elements, going forward. 

Wars - both legal and literal - have been fought, and continue to rage, over sources of water alone.  Foodstuffs are proportionally direct results of adequate water for their production.  I thknk the next "green revolution" will most likely actually be a "blue" one, in terms of resolving the ongoing and worsening lack of water of sufficient quality and quantity to support life. 

Doesn't matter what genetics you seed or breed...none of them can survive and flourish without water. 

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Reminds me of a statement made about an " EXPERT"  being futher than 40 miles from home  ?

0 Kudos