cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Buffetts

Turn on the tv to any news program lately, and within an hour there will always be something about Warren Buffett. Lately it has been about a minimum tax for millionaires. Open up about any farm magazine and there will be a pullout or story about Howard Buffett. Or even both in the same magazine.
Is it just me, or has anyone else been feeling we are getting a little overdose of Buffett? They are not your run of the mill investor and farmer, quit trying to feed us stories on them.
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Buffetts

Yeah I'm tired of it,  He bought Tony Lama and Justin Boot company, most of the boots are now made in China.  According to an article that was in the Omaha World Herald the reason he pays less then  his sectary for income tax is because he only gets paid in dividends from his stock he does not get a salary from the company.   Dividends are taxed at 15%  

I'm not taking anything away from him HES DONE VERY VERY WELL,,,  I talked to one lady that talked to him, he told her grand daughter never to get a credit card.  He does a lot with CASH.   if not all.   Berkshire Hathaway stocks have made some people a very comfortable living.  I know a couple that was retired that inheirted some shares, they EACH bought a new vehicle off of income of those shares.   In one year.   Back in the 90's I was told that 1 out of 10 people in Omaha was a millionaire.  

I'm I tired of hearing him talked about?  Yes, but he probably does deserve some praise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The Howard buffet foundation is really getting to old. He pushes something that is to hard to swallow for me. In the last Wallace farmer he had a two page add about the greatness of guest workers. I voiced my disagreeable opinion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yeah, they are both successful and all that, we know it. But every publication and every news show, even the state of the union address gets a little repetitive. I don't take too kindly to having people tell me what I should be doing with my money, whether it is pay more tax or ship it to Africa.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

You know, as millionares go, I do not object to hearing about the Buffetts.  I may object to some of the actions his railroad may be taking regarding frieght costs for grain in the Midwest, but one cannot object to his investment motives.  He's doing something right, not unlike Corizine or the other guys that ran pyramid schemes a few years back.  I think one can learn from a millionare that's approachable.  Why not take advantage of that?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I'd rather hear about the Buffets than Donny Trump.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I like warren buffet. He is just like me except richer and nicer. Just because he is rich that doesn't mean he has no voice. He is much better than those billionaires are trying to buy election results with negative ads.

A lot of people like warren as hundreds travel to Omaha to hear him speak. I generally listen to him when he is on the air. I like his no nonsense approach and his ability to see beyond his own self interest. Some folks don't like the politics of that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

In the past Warren studiously avoided publicity but has become a media whore.   Appears he has begun to like the attention and the access it gives him.   Great to see someone that has used the system to become fabulously wealthy and  now is biting the hand that fed him.   When he was on the way up and doing the screwing sure didn't hear him complain.  Wish he would take his new found "religion" and stick it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Whose hand is he biting

and how? What is that new found religion that you are complaining about?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I think he means that new found religion is his best friend forever Barry O in the white house. We rarely heard Buffett referenced until it became a dang punchline in his stump speech.
0 Kudos