cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff_a_Caldwell
Senior Contributor

Buying seed yet?

So, who's buying your seed corn for next year already? Just saw a report from Bob Nielsen at Purdue where he provides a little checklist for factors to consider when buying your seed. Do you take all these into account?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nwobcw
Advisor

Re: Buying seed yet?

Have some ordered but not paid for.   If it's a total wipe out here harvest wise it's best to keep cash on hand.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Got my seed booked.  We had enough rainy days to scout around, and see what I liked.  I generally plant probably 2/3 to 3/4 of my acres to known, consistent performers.  In Nebraska, you never know what the weather will be, so there are often years where the 'workhorse' varieties beat the 'racehorse' ones.  The other 1/4 or so of my acres are to new numbers, or perhaps an experiment with a different tillage practice, or fertilizer level.

The article was interesting, but there are a couple other things to consider, as well.

Cost:  If 2 hybrids consitently yield the same, but one is $50 a bag higher, why buy it?  I have seen seed, with the exact same ID code from 2 different companies vary by more than that, at times.

Dealer/company support:  Some companies are generous about providing seed in a replant situation, some provide agronomists, others just sell you seed, and you don't see them again until spring.

And let's not forget what color of hat or coat looks best on you, or who feeds you Prime Rib and Shrimp, and who gives you Roast Beef Sandwiches LOL

0 Kudos
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

LOL yeah Nebrfarmr that's why you go with more than one seed company...... The free prime rib taste even better the second or third time haha! I have my seed pretty well booked for next year. Instead of going with the two largest seed companies like I have in the past. I will be giving a couple of the smaller local seed companies a try next year. With cheaper seed that is consistently yielding the same or better than the two big guys and better replant policies why not?

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I haven'ty really gotten around ot that yet.  I've pretty much dec ided what my acreage allocation will be.  I'll be looking at the ISU extension site to see what the yield trials did.  I may book earlier than I usually do, whicih is often after the first of the year.

0 Kudos