cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fisher191182
Frequent Reader

Can you make 40,000 on 50 acres?

Jump to solution
Using pig, cattle, goats or chicken?????
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Can you make 40,000 on 50 acres?

Jump to solution

net or gross ?

0 Kudos
fisher191182
Frequent Reader

Jump to solution
Net
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Inherit and sell
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Well, you could be a hoghouse janitor on (10) 4,995hd hog sites on the 50 acres and your pay would be over $40K.   You could have chickens and organic eggs or milk organic goats and sell the milk to hospitals and hippies.   You could turn the 50 acres into a 2,000hd cattle feedlot and on years you don`t lose $40,000, you could make $40,000.

The options of hemp and turtle ponds and winery and Aronia berries weren`t mentioned.

0 Kudos
fisher191182
Frequent Reader

Jump to solution
Ok so it's possible I really would like to do cattle I guess pigs would be my second choice
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

well I did some rethinking on it.  Yes, you can.........but there are a number of "if's and but's", tho.

If you are near a metro area, yes, but forget about getting a 200 hp tractor, 30 foot header combine, and

the like, you'll maybe need a little fordson, and some handtools.

a while back I had some links on hydroponics, and how a fellow only had a few acres, and indeed he

did $40,000  (maybe that is why you ask the question, with that particular amount mentioned).

there will be some "marketing" involved, rather than looking at charts, and praying in church like we do,

you would be meeting with grocery stores, talking to restraunts, and making friends with the people that

have flea markets, town square farmers markets, etc........

if you could raise tomatoes, sweet corn, and the stuff like that, and do your hydroponics, maybe

farm fresh eggs (yes, the law states you need to be inspected....but....)......

if you work really really really hard maybe......you could watch some of the "hippie" videos on hydroponics,

also some raise mushrooms, microgreens, etc......some get into honey, but the bees can be a hazard, and personally

I never thought there was much of a market for honey.

you could also maybe raise melons, squash, pumpkins, etc........then raise stuff for decorations.

now, if you are in a rural area, and a long long ways from a urban or metro area, it will be quite a bit more difficult.

good luck

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

50 acres won't raise the feed for "the 10 cows"  needed to make 40K in a lifetime.  Assuming you work hard and take nothing for your labor 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

SW   -  Your  3 word response  INFO  '' PRICELESS  ''  ---

0 Kudos