our current deductible.

Anyone else have to pursue this option? Has any skinny Kenyan ever

messed up America so much in history?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Re: Catastrophic Insurance Options?

Cry me a river.  If $1200.00 a month is more than 8% of your income, then maybe you should go get a job at a fast food place.  Here, they are advertising needing people at $15.00 per hour, which would then give you $26,000. per year to help pay your insurance with. 

Sorry - but no sympathy here.  You're a farmer, and that's what you claim you make, is probably a tax scam, just like Trump, to get out of paying taxes.  Maybe you don't need all that Red Steel that you have on your farm, and maybe then you could actually afford to pay the insurance.  

If you're here on the Internet, which you seem to be all the time, you could take a second job like I did during my farming career, or you could get rid of the Internet, and have $50.00 more a month to pay your insurance with.  You have choices - you would just prefer to complain on here.

Sorry - no sympathy here.  In this case, I sure as heck don't  "believe you"....

Jen

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

And, as far as me having help writing my posts, just like Milli thinking I am a Democrat plant here to infiltrate you guys, think again....

I am a multimillionaire.  Many farmers on here have way, way more money than I could ever dream of.  What I have, is enough for me.  But I cannot stand with you Republicans, and what you stand for.  I'm going to call myself a Democrat, because of what I have seen on this site.  I had no political aspirations at all, until I saw what several of you were putting forth on here.

I've paid my fair share in taxes, "believe me", but never once in my life have I checked the box that asks "Do you want $3.00 to go to the Presidential Election Campaign."  Never - and probably never will.  But this year, I will be giving money to Secretary Clintons Campaign.  I think it is that important, like over 150 members of Congress, to stop Trump.

Jen

0 Kudos
Hobbyfarmer
Honored Advisor

Jen... that is one sorry post you just put up.....No math skills? 

There is nothing affordable about health care as it stands now if you are self insured and don't live in the same county as a large metropolitan city.

You tell me what is right about it when it is priced according to zip code of where you live.

The wife and I both have our doctors in Des Moines, our premium would be about $900 @ month with a Des Moines area zip code BUT with a zip code two counties away it is $1500 @ month for the exact same policy. 

Take your liberal Schlitz and stuff it. Nothing more than stealing from them with no real voting power and buying votes in the cities.

Reread his post and redo your math....just sad, sad, sad....

You have done much better as a weather Gal, might get along better sticking with weather and crops....

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

15.00 per hour x 40 hours per week = $600.

x

4 weeks per month = $2400.

12 Months per year = $28,800. per year working at Fast Food here in SE MN.

Red Claims:

$1200 is more than 8% of his income available

As and equation:  1200 is to 8 as ? is to 100 (1200/8 x ?/100)

1200 x 100 = 120,000 / 8 = $15,000 per year divided by the 1920 hours he would have working at fast food = What he claims he makes an hour $7.81.

I'm sorry - my math is right.  

I worked very hard during my working life to make ends meet.  I'm not saying that it is easy out there.  But anyone that has a farm, and is crying about not being able to make a payment, I really don't feel sorry for.  You guys have assets....you just don't want to use them for what you see as not necessary.  Like I was told by an attorney once when I was quite poor, "You have a farm, right?  Why don't you just sell one of your tractors?"

It didn't sit with me very well at the time, as I was just coming out of a divorce and had nothing.  Selling THE tractor that I had to do my farm left me with no ability to do the farm.  That sucker didn't care - they just wanted my money for a health care bill when my ex put our son into a "program" to help him overcome a rough patch in his life.  He could've come and lived with me, and we could have watched him, instead of racking up over $30,000 in bills I was required to pay.  I paid it by taking on another job in the winter.

Sorry - no sympathy here....

Jen

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

And as far as paying for where you live, I don't know anything about that.  But I do know about Basis, as it relates to selling my crops when I had the farm in Central WI.  I got ripped every time I sold a bushel because of where I lived.  No one cared.  "Buy a farm where the Basis is better" is what I was told.  If you don't like what you're paying where you live, then move.  Don't want to move?  Then that is the choice that you have made.  Sorry.  No sympathy here.

Jen

0 Kudos
Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

I hope she leaves her posts up as an example of the typical progressive voter's analytical skills.

You just can't fix stupid.

0 Kudos
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

I'm not ashamed of any of my posts that I have put up here. Hobby said my math was wrong - it isn't. You guys are so used to others paying for your subsidized insurance, you expect if you cry enough, someone might say we need to subsidise farmers health insurance too.

What you guys are wanting is exactly what you're complaining about - the fact that you're having to subsidise others, yet not seening how many are actually subsidizing the farmers. And I'm not saying that I am complaining about the subsidizes that farmers get. Some are needed - but certainly not all, and not to multimillionaire farmers who are simply hiding their wealth behind the curtain of our current tax system.

Jen
0 Kudos
gurly3801539
Advisor

I would encourage you to reread the post and try this again jennys_mn.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Red,

The medical insurance business seems to get more and more challenging.  I don't have an answer to your question but will follow the discussion to see what comes up.

As far as farmers and taxes are concerned it is not a common view that farmers cheat on their taxes and even if some think that, I don't see any reason to assume you do.  As far as paying the minimum owed, the often quoted Judge Learned Hand had a couple of observations on taxes:

"Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one's taxes. 

Gregory v. Helvering, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934)

Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible. Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of morals is mere cant.

Commissioner v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848, 851 (2d Cir. 1947) - dissenting opinion"

One dould argue that if one paid more taxes than were owed and then sought help that person should be turned away as having given up means that could have been used to pay for whatever was required.

Let's see - 8% of 15,000 is 1200 a month, which means the income for the year is $180,000 and the anuual premium is $14,400.  Some years.  I bet few farmers are making normal incomes in the last few and this year but BCBS don't care about that.

0 Kudos