cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Cats & Dogs Again

A few weeks back there was an article on this site comparing farm cats and dogs and which creature we preferred. I was rather clear that I preferred dogs over cats, but now I have learned cats have their place on the farm as well. In just over a two week time frame mice have gotten into my sprayer and destroyed several wires and most of the small tubing used on the foam marker. I told myself that was it, so in about 2 hours time, I gathered up 7 kittens from neighbors and placed them in my shed. I'm not sure how mature cats need to be before the become good mouser's, but I set them up a box for a house, another box with floor dry to be used hopefully for their bathroom, and just enough food and water that maybe they won't run away to find food else where. After they become familiar with their new surroundings, hopefully they will forget about the cat food and go after some mice.
6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Cats & Dogs Again

Day one and I can't find the cats, but there is evidence they are still there. Cat food missing and litter box had been used. Not finding the darn kittens was bothering my youngest son so he down loaded some kitten yelp sounds on his IPod to play for them. Within about 10 seconds, he had these kittens yelping back at him. Pretty darn neat if I can say so myself. We took it one step further to keep them around, feed them some canned cat food and some fresh milk. I'm sure before to long they will be hanging around our feet.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Well, I can see who trained who.  You are out buying canned food for the cats and so far as we know the mice are still in the cheese.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I hope not Jim, but I gotta start somewhere. LOL

After my son played the kitten audio clip, I asked him if he wanted to stop by the local taxidermy shop and pick up a couple cat mounts to use as decoys. His response was "huh".
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Once had a dog that would catch mice, bring them to the yard and play with them until they were dead.
Next thing you know those cats will be putting mice in the house so Shaggy will let the cats hang out on the couch all day! Blahhhhha
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

No danger there tree fmr, my house is no where near my farm. I'm talking several miles here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Thats too bad. Hope they take care of the mouse problem for you!
I have a car stored in the barn since 07, put moth balls in and around it. To this day not so much as a spider has been found in it or under the hood. I don't know how I will get rid of the smell when I am ready to drive it!
0 Kudos