cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Friend

Cattle Weight

Jump to solution

Please listen to my idea. What if you had a matt that would weigh your cows every time they stepped on it and would send it to the computer so you could track their growth and things? Would it be helpful?

Nick

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Senior Advisor

Re: Cattle Weight

Jump to solution

Sounds like an interesting concept  "" if ""  it is kept     simple   and cost effective 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Sounds like an interesting concept  "" if ""  it is kept     simple   and cost effective 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Friend

Jump to solution

Well my idea would use a matt and a tag on the animal to identify it. When do you think it would be most useful? Would you use it throught the animal's life to track its progress or mainly just use it to weigh the animal before you sold it? Sorry if this sounds dumb. Ive never raised many animals.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

I have seen a feedlot, with a similar setup.  They have a watering 'trough' where the animals drink.  After they are familiar with it, they put dividers down, where only one calf at a time can easily drink.  One or two of these, have a scale, and an electronic tag reader.  Whenever a calf gets a drink, its weight is automatically recorded.   Over time, their computer can chart their weight gains for each animal.  I don't think they have a scale in every one of these 'stalls', so I assume either the calves drink out of the ones with the scales often enough to get a weight, or else they block off the others from time to time to get them to drink from the ones that do.  Last I knew, this was sitll an 'experiment' with no patents or anything on it, and it wasn't a very well kept secret, as our local Young Farmers group took a tour through there, where I saw it.

0 Kudos