Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Central Kansas Land Auction

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Central Kansas Land Auction

It just occurs to me how different things are in your square world, compared to our jigsaw-puzzle one.  You know a pivot will fit, you can easily find boundaries, and all your rows can be the same length.  Soils are easily rated for productivity,  you know where tile is installed. 

Here, we bounce from one tree stump to another, to an iron cotton trailer axle in the ground, slog from one swamp to the next, and you can tell how the drainage patterns change, by how tall the trees are in a given area.  On this place we bought in 1994 in NC, the trees were taking over fields just abandoned when 4-row equipment shifted to eight-row.  You could see where the prior shift from 2-row had gone before, and so forth.  The really big trees were where a mule and man couldnt' stand without sinking. 

0 Kudos
clayton58
Veteran Advisor

How does that price compare to previous sales? Is labs price dropping or staying strong? No sign of weakness on recent sales in my area
0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Shaggy  -  SSSHHH - Don't tell anyone about the real estate taxes down there - or don't send your acessor to a tax school in the state just north of you - the 472% might come true might be more truth than poetry--- 

0 Kudos
elcheapo
Senior Advisor

Dang I should have went !

that could be a shock to valuations

questions, what was the water like, did it include a pivot, and what kind of soil

around here is it has water, 8K minium

i don't know. was in the clinic yesterday, saw some flyers that the school district wants to have a 10 million dollar

bond issue to build some new gyms, add "security", and  add some classrooms.

i was discussed

then there was some young gal in there and she saw me looking at it, boy oh boy she knew it all.  she went on

that some kids have to practice untill 9 pm, becouse there is not enough gym space. huh?   i went there not all

that many years ago, we had alot more kids and never had that problem !!

oh, i had to get with the times....we need it we must do all these things, plus it's the right tiime interest rates

are cheap and building cost are going up, and if we build a nice school, more students will come !!!

that the #%! is wrong with people.....a used car salesman wearing a polyester suit simular to herb tarlic (wkrp tv show)

could not have come up with a better line.

i was informed all about it and how i was out of touch with things. she saw doc before I did i should have asked him

what her problem was !

i thought I would  shut her up by telling her, it's my money, and with just  doing the double amount last year for

a major hospit expansion (10 million over 20 years), and now they want to do the same.  I said i can't afford it

anymore....she thought I was horrible, i thought she was (opps !  can type that here ):smileysurprised:

the interesting thing, they made up a chart on how much it would cost per acre on taxes. BUT what she and

they didn't do was factor in the increasing valuation (went up 15% this year alone), and all this more space and

new offices (have to fill them), what will the general budget do but go up due to higher maintance, utilities, and

labor......

just what the hell do they think i'm made of money ?

maybe i should run for county commissioner, hospital board and school board.

I run on just one thing........I say no to everything.

Shaggy98
Senior Advisor

Pivot sold with land and was included in the price. Seems as though the price was a little soft. Some dryland grass about 60 miles away sold 2 weeks ago for $3000, but it was prime hunting ground and that means skies the limit.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Very likely, she wasn't a property owner, so the increase in taxes doesn't affect her bottom line. There was a reason the original framing of theVonstitution only gave votes to land owners, if I recall right.

If someone pays only on their home, the values lost since 2008 gave them a nice, lower reset point. Farmers will be paying for these record land values for at least whatever is one cycle in your revaluation process. For us, that's four years in VA, six in NC.

It used to be posdible to Google " cost of community services studies", and see comparative tax to benefits (income v expense) of ag, commercial and residential properties, in hundreds of communities across America. Commercial real estate typically pays way more than it receives in services. Ag and forrstry lands cost most counties next to zero...no kids to svhools, few calls for police/ fire/ etc. Every house costs the county money, unless it is a veritable mansion.

In a conversation such as the one you had, my first question is: What do you pay taxes on, to support your needs? That generally establishes your higher ground in the debate. One child costs the average school system here well more than $5000 per year. The average house here pays maybe $300 in taxes. You do the math....

0 Kudos
dennymal
Veteran Contributor

I have been to a few sales here in central Iowa the last month. Only one farm was I marginally interested in. Prices 8700-10000-Good farms are still bringing a good premium. Same farms a year ago would have brought 10-13 thousand. Some ground has rented here in the the last few weeks for 350 an acre-still scratching my head how that will work.

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Denny  -   some interesting numbers for digesting  ---

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Wonder how many people who sold out for those record prices the last couple of years might now be able to turn around in a year or so, and buy it all back flr hal what they got for it....
0 Kudos