cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Smokey

SW, if Chipotle is a "chalatan" and put food safety in jeopardy, then by all means that should be brought out.   But what I suspect is going on with the natural food bashing, such as "nutritionally a pink slim burger is no different than a natural grass-fed burger....so shut up and eat it!".  It`s about choice, if a consumer is willing to pay more for a pork chop that is certified the hogs were deep bedded and outdoor access, they are capitalistically voting with their dollars and that niche keeps smaller farmers in business.

There is nothing that can unring the bell of the industrialization of agriculture...the big guys won, the genie is out of the technology bottle.  But, they should be willing to yield market share to those that do get a premium for food raised to certain standards.  It appears like big oil throwing a hissy fit about Ethanol taking 10% of their market share when they sat on their thumbs over 30 years since they bothered to build a new oil refinery, industrial ag hates the fact people out there will pay more for food not raised by them.

The world population is increasing, so the most of the food raised on the finite amount of arable acres will have to be done on the industrial model.  However there is market share for both camps.

0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

So called, big ag, is not concerned about niche markets in that they are not focused on creating a public campaign to make them appear suspect.  I've attended many meetings with major commodity groups and with agribusiness entities, and they(niche market entities) garner no attention. However, both are in competition for the consumer dollar, and it should not surprise anyone when food companies compete for market share.

Discussion has, from time to time, focused on messaging coming from anti-ag activists and how to address the issues. The U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance creates material to that effort. It's always used a positive approach, never combative and even are welcoming in their language. The only hissy fit comes from people that frequently use the label "industrial ag" or "big ag".

if there is agreement on the concept of capitalism and our freedom to operate, markets will seek the most efficient use of capital. People with lots of cash are free to use it how they see fit.  People that have more limited means will flow their resources towards markets that give them the best value for their budgeted dollars. 

Unless you believe in a controlled economy, it is what it is. 

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

BA, my only complaint in the Chipotle issue is that they are not being treated as any other food supplier with multiple pathogen outbreaks by FDA or the media.

I have no problem with them in the marketplace as long as the public health is not at risk....

And I get a little irked when producers point the finger at producers and production choices and claim health risks are created at the production level.... that is false and somewhat self destructive.

Pathogen problems are prevented in the food preparation process and most often begin in the handling, packaging, transportation, and food preparation process.

The claim that the neighborhood where the pig was raised, be it concrete slat or dirt lot, affects the quality of the meat or its "safety" to the public has no validity.  And if it did, it very likely will not favor those that promote the idea, when actual testing were available.

It is another shooting ourselves in the foot process, and it appears that Chipotle is trying to pass much of the food safety responsibility back to the producers in their claims.  That is not good for the producer, whatever "style" of production.

Chipotle is trying to capitalize on fear, and demonized much of the agriculture community in the process.  They put themselves in this spot.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey SW, Yes food safety has to come first, however the industrial ag side has had their issues with food safety as well. We shop at Costco and are happy and convinced they are good as the best and better than the rest with the fresh groceries they sell.  However quite often, there`s spinach lettuce occassionally being recalled.  We`ve all heard of hamburger, hotdogs, cookie dough many things getting recalled and this is from the mainstream industrial ag sources.  That far from means all food in the US is a safety issue...on the contrary the US has the safest food on the planet.  But, all groceries and restaurants can have a problem, but we catch it and move on.

I don`t emmerce myself in these stories so I really don`t see the difference in what happened to Chip[otle and if it happened to a more mainstream restaurant (I hate to mention a specific name, in case I get it wrong as sensitive as it is).  I guess my point of all this is, Chipotle had a problem...not at all their restaurants, but it really can and does happen to other restaurants too.  And sure Chipotles set themselves up and when they finally stumble, it`s seems to be all the sweeter to their critics.  I support what they are doing...shoot, they serve my pork, so I better stand up for them to at least be treated fairly  Smiley Happy

If I get timre later I might post a story to  DeCoster a big industrial ag hog and chicken player.  That hired illegals, some of the workers were cheaped and raped by supervisors.  Finally the eggs they produced were salomella, foreward dated and people got sick.  DeCoster and his boy are in the pen over that shenanigans.  So, I think everytime we point a finger in these issues, there are 3 pointing right back at us.

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

hardnox
Advisor

Re: Chipotle and bioterrorism

Good. I hope for you as well.

BTW, I've always wanted to stop by some day (at your convenience) and take a look at your operation.

Can I get a message to you at the business phone?

0 Kudos