cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
belarus
Senior Contributor

Chipotle and bioterrorism

Is anyone seeing accusation about biotech industry causing Chipotle's food safety issues?

0 Kudos
75 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Chipotle and bioterrorism

Might as well make some extreme blaming on the way to a crash and burn....

Fresh and holesom organic doesn't really need quality control, does it??

Yes I been watching it with a smile.......

Being "holier than thou" makes being wrong even more painful.

They can't even trace the source of their purchases or can they??   Or should they??  Does it look bad when we explain where we get our ingredients.

If their materials were from the US we could source it back to the very mellon...........   just saying... 

When the PC poster child has a problem they get a pass for not being able to source their purchases...  and now a scapegoat....

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I haven`t seen any claims about that, just a whole lot of Schadenfreude on the part of Big Big Big Ag Biz.  I mean "how dare one company claim that their product is better...now they`re having troubles? ...Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha"

But this E Coli stuff can happen regardless to anyone regardless how many genes you splice and how much formaldehyde you spray all over everything.  Chipotle probably had lettuce that a deer pooped on, or a worker in the field didn`t wash his hands after going to the bathroom or someone that packaged the lettuce had the runs that day.  I would say a Chipotle worker didn`t wash his hands, but since it happened at 22 different restaurants...that would`ve had to been a really busy employee. So I would guess it`s a hand washing issue on the part of a Chipotle supplier. 

But you hear of beef and spinach in Big Big Big Ag Biz supplied big box stores being recalled because of E Coli and Salmonella every once in awhile.  It seems there`s a human factor in it for everyone.

One day robots will totally pick, package and serve our food, robots don`t have to go to the bathroom and they can be programed to wash their paws, then there won`t be the human factor  🙂

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

I'm convinced that pathogenic bacteria do not discriminate based on scale. Food safety is a culture in a farm.  It takes a concerted effort from everyone.  I don't like to hear that workers aren't washing their hands.  In general, all the produce in this country, organic or not, is picked by hispanics.  They are very family oriented hard working individuals that do a very good job at understanding and following proper personal hygeine and good manufacturing practices in food production settings.  The conspiracy seekers are saying they didn't hear of anyone else having issues with lettuce and have a hard time believing that Chipotle has farms that only grow for them in the winter for the central and nw portion of US.  And they are asking why such a novel strain of e coli.  

Me, personally, I have not seen the level of animosity in industro ag towards an entity that the commodity farmers show Chipotle.  The American people are ready for change in American Agriculture.  I think it would be a good thing for farmers to be paid more for their production.

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

I heard a conversation on RFD sirrus radio the other day.  The industrial ag proponents are standing on the street cheering about ecoli at Chipotle.  Pathogenic bacteria do no discriminate based on scale last time I checked. The conspiracy seekers are going to say if they are buying from the same sources as everyone else why is the outbreak only with them?  I think they bring up a good point.  We have veggie producers in the US that are only producing for Chipotle in the NW and central portion of the country in the winter?  Highly doubtful.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Big outfits like Walmart understand that the "customer is always right" so they get in on the organic/natural gig too rather than fight it.  The foot soldiers against the more natural/less preservatives does appear to be the rank and file farmer out here.  And i think that comes from "farm groups" steering them in that direction with their editorial pages.  they might be "grass roots" but the 5% that show up and run the show are indoctrinated that "big is good".  Look at the advertisers in some of these publications, for example if a editorial gives the bennefits of outdoor pork, the gestation crate companies surely aren`t going to advertise with them.

But yeah the anti-natural crowd will say "pasture hogs cause soil erosion..pasture hogs get cold in the winter and too hot in the summer, my CONFINEMENT hogs are cozy and comfy all year long! Organic farmers have thistles that blow onto my farm and their cultivating causes soil erosion and we can`t fed the world organically"    All that easily refuted crap that I could disect if anyone wants me to.  But, there`s plenty of market space for natural foods and chemical foods, I`m "pro-choice" on that matter and the nearest organic farmer is 20 miles away and if any of his thistles blow on me, I don`t care, I`ll spray `em with the same stuff I fight waterhemp with.  I`m not threatened by the natural food industry and welcome the cut in production that comes with it.

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

Your attitude is really rare in farm country!  How did we get talking about outdoor pork? I have sows outside and personally, I'd like it colder so we didn't have mud.  Pigs survived for thousands of years without buildings.  The best place for a pig is a properly managed pasture operation.  The worst place for a pig is a poorly managed pasture operation.  I thought the question was ecol in lettuce?  Anyone know if the strain is an ESBL?  I follow a conspiracy "news page".  I'd call it a blog but that is another point.  I like to follow just to see which way the wind is blowing.  They raise some valid points.  I understand some of the science behind food safety.  This one doesn't add up.  Wondered how its only Chipotle.  I could see that in one portion of the country during the growing season.  But central and nw US in winter?  They also pointed people to the USDA report on AI this spring and pointed out some huge flaws in how that was spread....same strains popping up on same days in different parts of the country.  Coincidences do happen.  

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Well, Chipotle gets their pork and chicken from Perdue Natural Foods and outdoor vs confinement pork..cage free chickens and such are a big part of why Chipotle has a big bullseye on their back.  So when the Ecoli issue comes up due to their lettuce, (something that could happen to anyone) that is a cause for jubulation for some.   I mean "How dare they pay their suppliers a premium for responsibly raised raw ingredients and then have the gall to brag that their restaurants are better????" .     I guess the natural products crowd should have "We`re just like everyone else!" as their advertising slogan to make their critics happy.   🙂

0 Kudos
belarus
Senior Contributor

I thought most of their pork was coming from the UK now?  I eat at Chipotle when out.  I think their food tastes consistently very good.  I still don't know what to think of the Perdue Niman Ranch and Hormel Applegate deal.  We are signed up as Niman Producers in case we have too many pigs.  And we've talked with Applegate at lengths on supplying turkey breasts. I don't know whether is says more about whether the Niman model ever made money or whether it says that companies like Perdue and Hormel see for a future for a portion of the meat business in the US.  I tend to lean towards very encouraged.  I tried to post a pic of a litter of newborns that was outside their hut this morning.  12 of them.  All red except for a few belted and solid blacks.  Probably end up going to Perdue/Niman.  43 degrees at our place.  They'll take 6++ months to get to 300-320.  Pretty good price floor for December farrowings.  I'm sure it would make the commodity boys cry.FullSizeRender.jpg

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Nice picture Belarus and yes natural hogs are the most profitably commodity on the farm these days. 

These consolidations are probably a necessary evil to be big enough to be a reliable supplier and get shelf space.  Like natural pork, the few that want to do it basically want to farrow in April and September..just twice a year and that`s it so there`s a glut of hogs in October and March and a shortage in the prime grilling and BLT season in the summer.

Niman supplied and as far as I know still supplies Chipotle with pork, but Chipotle needs fresh pork all year around.  Niman has I think about 700 farmers alot in the upper midwest that want that spring and fall farrowing.  By merging they can bring in southern farmers that could farrow all year or northerns with the incentive to farrow in the winter in a heated barn or a Smidley insulated farrowing hut.

And to land the big accounts like Chick-Filet and get supermarket shelf space they have to be a reliable source every week and that comes with volume to a certain extent. As long as standards aren`t compromised and the small farmer customers are fairly compensated, it`s okay to work together and grow.  A rising tide lifts all boats. 

0 Kudos