cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choices For Driverless Vehicles

Let's say you buy a brand new, shiny pickup truck for your farm or business and the neat thing is ...this thing will drive itself.  How relaxing.  How restful.  How much safer.

Now for a small choice - the pickup truck is programmed to avoid harming anyone.  Let's suppose you are a rider in your vehicle when it comes to a site with 5 workers.  The vehicle has to be programmed to make a choice.  It can drive into and kill the five people or it can swerve off a cliff and kill you.  Which way will you have it programmed?

If you are out innocently walking around town, do you want to see self-drive vehicles that will avoid you even if they kill the driver?  Would you want to own and ride in a vehicle programmed that way?

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Choices For Driverless Vehicles

You are looking at this all wrong because the buyer will HAVE NO CHOICE in how it's programmed.

THAT WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE GOVT. AND THE MANUFACTURER!

0 Kudos

OK, rawhide, I actually asked two questions and you answered one of them.  Now for the other ---will you buy or will you ride in a vehicle that is programmed by the government or manufacturer?

0 Kudos

not if i can help it.Here is the problem I have Jim...I think new technology is a good thing, EXCEPT WHEN IT IS MANDATED BY GOVT!  Example: The pollution control on big trucks---one cant keep them running without paying out the wazoo (i hope the moderator doesn't think i'm cussing again)  Govt. mandate in action.

I just got rid of a 2007 truck that I spent more in repairs and downtime than the thing was worth and bought a glider kit with a 1999 rebuilt drive train.  2007 truck got 6.7 mpg on a good day---this one is getting 8.2 over the first 5000 miles.

I will ask you a question--which pollutes the most--the 2007 with all the clean air gizmos (that only worked half the time) at 6.7mpg or the rebuilt 1999 getting 8.2?

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Well I guess we got an answer to this one from that wreck in Florida or wherever it was.

I'll make my own mistakes, thank you

0 Kudos