cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Congress Perching On Your Dinner Table

"-- Ban sale of cats and dogs for eating: A provision from Rep. Jeff Denham would forbid the slaughter and sale of cats and dogs for human consumption, punishable by up to one year in federal prison and a fine of $2,500."

Good grief.  I've spent most of my military career overseas and have served as an advisor to indigenous populations.  I've eaten dog, horse, chicken blood, frogs and other things I have no name for.  None of it killed me and the people eating it seemed to have a good reason to do so.

Does Congress have nothing more to do than to sit on my dinner tray and tell me what to grow and eat?

Unbelievable.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Congress Perching On Your Dinner Table

Congressman from California 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Okay Jim, I agree with you on many things, but on this I could not disagree more.  Now when you ate all those gross things, you were in a "craphole" country right?   Would you want to live there???   I`ll bet not!   Those heathens eat gross things and as we drag more of them in this country, they bring some of their disgusting culture with them.   So, apparently there in a need to pass laws to aid them in their assimilation or we turn into a 3rd world craphole. as well.

Some of my best friends are Dogs, the thought of anyone doing anything with a Dog other than loving them is disturbing.  

But where does all this go without civilized standards enforced?  Does society eventually adapt a "Hannibal Lector diet"?   No!  While we are still civilized we must act as such and these common sense laws of decency are a no-brainer.  

God Bless that Californian congressman that is proposing those laws...and he is a Republican too by the way.

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I could care less what gender, political persuasion or origin this zealot has.  How many of the people in the world are we saying we're superior to just because we don't see eating Fido in the same light they do?  Some won't eat pork.  Some won't eat beef.  Some won't eat seafood in some months.  Some won't eat any meat.  Some live mostly on meat.  Some eat crickets and worms and bugs.

My suggestion to those who don't want their dog eaten is to keep it chained up.  If it's on my property, it's my meat.  Now, what is meat?  That is an entirely other question which I imagine will end up at the Supreme Court some year.

Now, if you want to ban tofu, I'm with you and I might be persuaded to ban yoghurt, too.  Yuck!

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Seems  this  would  be  equivalent   to  spending  Check-off  $$$$  to open  beef  markets  in Argentina  or  pork check off  $$$$  for middle  east  trade  - although  something to tariff, maybe - - - 

Hannibal Lector  being comparable,   B  A  - although  enforcement could  be  an  issue In  L. A .  or  Queens etc. etc, as  availability  of  national  guard  lines  of  defense  are  stressed  thin ---          

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Jim -  WELL  STATED  -  enforcement  being  a  noun easy - verb another story - - - 

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Another  object  being  meat  exports  to  foreign  destinations, of which  the  menu- venue  of  these  described  items,  have  a '' undesirable  fit ''  in  my  meal  settings ---

Reading  between  the  lines  seems  to  have  as  much  merit  as  the  immediate  headline,  maybe - - -      

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Jim, this is all just gross, we could go round and round and I`ll lose my appetite for supper.   But let me put it this way, Americans love their pets, we spend $60 billion/yr on our pets, $500 spent on pets for each household.

You aren`t doing the pork producers, beef producers, poultry producers any favors in lumping us together with extreme, lowest common denominator 3rd world diets.  Without looking it up and being a "Google expert" I believe there was a rat (Nutria) from South America that was being touted as a protein source, because they grow fast and efficient and stuff...yeah yeah yeah "tastes like chicken"....well if they taste like chicken, why the hell not eat chicken?  There`s no shortage of chickens!  But people turned up their noses at the Nutria rat (because most people aren`t stupid and gross) and chicken is cheap and grandma cooked chicken.

Most farmers love their Dogs and are grossed out at ...."you know".   So do us a favor, and pick your battles, there`s plenty of chicken and pork. And if a congressman wants to outlaw eating pets, I don`t think 90% are going to oppose such a law.  And the hardcore 10% that want to see pets on plates are probably going to turn off many consumers at the sheer thought of it.  The American livestock producers have enough of a uphill challenge without locking arms with the pet eating psychos. 

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

Were this gets us is we almost killed the horse kill for the same wet-eyed sentimentalism.  So people left Trigger to die of starvation instead.

I'm willing to bet most of us are willing to shoot a stray dog if it is hassling the livestock, so not all of us are flipping over Fido.

Let's see, let's ban blood pudding, sweetmeats, kidney, liver and gizzards.  Along with the chicken feet I ate at a Chinese restaurant.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Wait a minute, Jim you eat "chicken feet"....why?!  Wouldn`t you rather get a sirloin or a burger?  🙂     But my Norwegian relatives ate nasty stuff, when we`d butcher a goat, they wanted the head to make some gross stuff called "head cheese" and they made "blood balony"  (don`t ask) and they did stuff with intestines.   So I`ve seen my share of disgusting things.....but chicken feet????   When I go into a Chinese restaurant, I instantly turn into a vegetarian and wonder why we didn`t go to Bennigans  where i`d order the "Big Irish" burger.

But with "horseys" the problem is rendering trucks wouldn`t take them or change a arm & leg and part of the other leg to get rid of the damned things....so a rendering truck won`t take them, but they`re supposed to be okayed for human consumption???  hmmm   But that`s the problem, horse people are screwy to begin with, they start out buying the best alfalfa money can buy (which  is a waste of money, horses eat eat eat and eat and poop it out anyway) .  Then they lose their job in town and can`t afford the horses, first they stiff the guy they buy hay from, then some of them digress into starving the animal.  

But most of us with a Judeo-Christian ancestry at some point in the past followed the dietary laws of Leviticus ...and that is why we`re grossed out at eating cute, furry things.  Here is a list from Leviticus of what you should eat and shouldn`t, not that you`ll go to hell if you do, but you`ll make yourself sick (look at the full doctor offices today).  Yes, "pork" is on the list and I personally raise it but don`t eat it.  The Lutheran church I go to must think "Jesus died so we can eat pork" so they put fricken bacon in everything...I swear even their Jello has bacon.  But here is the list for anyone wanting to be healthy, I reckon Snicker bars and Ding Dongs would be on the unclean side too, had they been around during Jesus` time.  

0 Kudos