cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Congress Preview: Big decision on farm bill

I think we all need to brush-up on the 1949 Farm Bill rules in case they don't get anything done. And for Iowa Farmers, we stand to lose exactly $68.48 per acre in Farm Subsidies. $68 an acre doesn't seem like much, but just on an average 1,500 acres that's $102,720 per year. Article is below:

************************************************************************************************************

Congress Preview: Big decision on farm bill

Issue:Despite two years of debate, Congress still has not agreed to a five-year farm bill to fund agricultural and nutritional programs for the needy. If lawmakers don’t pass a renewal by the end of the month, the law will revert to its 1949 version, erasing many current aid and subsidy programs.

Why should Iowans care?

As a leading agricultural state, the farm bill has big implications for Iowa and its economy. Expiration of the law would subject farmers at the very least to uncertainty about the future of ag, energy and conservation programs and the aid that is key to their operations.

What's expected to happen?

Debate over a military strike on Syria and funding for the federal government will dominate debate when lawmakers return to Washington, D.C., next week, likely pushing action on the farm bill into October or later, said Mary Kay Thatcher, a lobbyist for the American Farm Bureau Federation. That means the present farm bill probably will expire, although most farmers won’t be affected for a few months. Ultimately, the bill could be rolled into a larger federal budget deal, with savings from food stamp cuts used to offset spending elsewhere.

What's notable about Iowa delegation?

Iowa’s senators and representatives are unified in their calls to renew the farm bill, even as they disagree along party lines over the appropriate size of the food stamp program. Most members expressed hope that the House and Senate would open a conference committee in which a compromise bill could be written.

Register staff writers Jennifer Jacobs and William Petroski contributed to this report.

0 Kudos
48 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Congress Preview: Big decision on farm bill

Well, I guess I'm lucky I never had that income in my custom farm spreadsheet. I've never seen a direct amount spelled out ($68). I had asked some of my tenant farmers and they just were vague about their direct payments, saying it doesn't amount to much. But that would be nearly $40,000 more for my custom operation - enough to affect my decision on this. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

As I warned you earlier,  take his words with a grain of salt

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

They are the same guy!!! Ever notice the only people Fairy Tale speaks with only register the same day the conversation starts?
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Tenants are not going to volunteer such info. In some places, payments exceed the rent they pay the landowner.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Congress Preview: Big decision on farm bill/FARAWAYGUY-Big Bo-Bo!!! LOL

That's a big BO-BO Farawayguy not to include both the Crop Insurance and the Direct Subsidy in your overall Farm Numbers. For a typical Iowa Farm Operation, the Taxpayers pay around 63% of my Crop Insurance and also a $20/acre Direct Subsidy. With the 160 acres I took over 8 weeks ago, just for my little Farm Operation the Taxpayer gives me $136,000 a year. Granted $136,000 per year is just pocket change in the big picture, but you better add it to your review of your entire operation.The 63% Crop Insurance Subsidy is figured at the 80% Coverage Level. The 80% Crop Insurance Level is the sweet spot for taking the most Taxpayer money from the Goverment. Also, I am very close to exceeding the $40,000 per year Direct Subsidy Limit from the Taxpayer. To make sure I don't exceed that and not get all the Taxpayers money i can, I have set-up a Shell Company to avoid going over the $40,000 limit that the Taxpayer pays me for farming. If you are over 1,500 acres you might also want to register a "Shell Company" to make sure you milk the Taxpayer for as much money as possible. Just my suggestion to you. It is nice to get $136,000 per year from the goverment, I am using this money to send all 3 of my kids though Private College, it is $35,000 per kid per year or a total of $105,000 per year. The kids will get a goverment paid for College Education for free!!!! Now you can't beat that can you?????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Well, if you're saying I'm RSW, I'm not. Of course I signed up the same day I asked the custom farm question - I signed up so I could ask the question. I'm not entirely sure if you two just like needling each other, or if you're serious about what you say, but RSW has had really thoughful comments. If he's faking it, and I can't imagine why he would do this, his advice still seems insightful. By the way, if you really want to confirm about me, just private message me, and I can give you my phone or email and we can converse. You and RSW should do the same - this message board would be the better for it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Haven't had it in there, because I didn't know enough of the details. I'll put the $20 direct payment in and then I'll take it back out, since it appears it's going away Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Repeat, you need to confirm the $20.  When you find out yours is not $20 you will know what I am talking about.  Ask RSW how he grows 80 bushel beans and see what he says.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Okay - verify. Message recieved, and I'm on it.

0 Kudos