cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Conservation on your farm

I am not sure increased wildlife is a result of conservation measures, but as long as hunting organizations finance and loby, scs will grab onto it.  SCS lost my support and participation when they started forcing the distruction of trees on CRP land to diminish habitat for predator species, favoring some species over others because they have better loby or greater social entertainment value???-------made no sense to me--just creates problems when the hunters don't control the populations.

-----------------------------

I certainly appreciate the increased presence of all wildlife. But that increase comes with responsibility by ownership to control populations that reach levels that are distructive to their community.

---------------------------

John the last major dirt storm I have witnessed in the SW was in 1959 or 60.  March brings us 50+mph season changing winds for days in the spring.  The famous photos from the 1930's are easy to find but  a few spring storms rolled in annually til the 1960s.  

The development of herbicides and GMO herbicide resistant crops to facilitate minnimum and no tillage practices so residue can be maintained. ---------nothing matches that in conservation..

Then GMO negated a large precentage or our usage of insecticide.  Coupled with crp putting perminant cover on some marginal soils giving us a side benefit-----we get wildlife habitat and more healthy wildlife---helping make the cost of crp more palatable to the public.

Glance at the old photos-----------if the new class of environuts had their way----we would be sending our drought your way next month----in a cloud.

Yes-- conservation is part of farm management.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Those people need to come over here, and 'study' how the turkeys scratched about 3/4 of the corn out of the first 4 rows around the edge of my field, and explain how I benefited from it.  They will literally walk down the row, and scratch out the kernels of corn.  The neighbor planted oats, and says he lost half the crop or more, from the first header width all the way around the field, because of what the turkeys eat.   We don't need them to pick up the waste grain around here, we have cows for that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The deer graze the same pastures as our cattle, and also drink from the same water supplies.  We have had a few head of cattle die for no apparent reason, but didn't have an autopsy preformed to determine exactly why.  A cow here, and a cow there dying sometimes just happens, so far no epidemics I know of.  There are plenty of pepole concerned, but so far, it hasn't been bad.

Now that you mention relationship between plants and animals, I can tell you I firmly believe that many plants bring with them certain 'wildlife' that lives amongst them.  However, you can also tell to some extent what animals (especially birds) you have in your pastures, by what weeds crop up.  Many weeds have seeds that can survive going through a bird, and those birds spread those weeds.  Grouse tend to spread leafy spurge seed, turkeys spread eastern redcedar, and so on.

0 Kudos