cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Counting CAFOs

According to this story, there is pressure to list all the CAFOs (so people can gripe about them, I guess).  Some professors proposed a way that computers can "out you" easily.  They admit it is still necessary to have ground truthing.

"hey, ma, the CAFO hunters have found us.  Quick, turn a couple of runts out in the woods so we're under the limit".

http://www.harvestpublicmedia.org/post/there-isnt-comprehensive-map-cafos-computers-could-change?utm...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Counting CAFOs

A while back on 60 Minutes they did a story on do-gooders (for themselves) used satellites to check on restaurants if they had handicripple accessible entrances...and if they didn`t...Ka-Ching!  they took the restaurant to court and sued their pants off$$$$   For the good of the community of course.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Smith feel d   may  have  brought  this cafo  thing  to  the  for  front  -  just  say-un  - ?  

0 Kudos
Advisor

The Epa has released a list of cafos with phone numbers, children's names etc bout 2x in the past 5 years.

and each time they had to retract that public listing....and it takes the epa bout 2 weeks for them to get their list off the public view.

sooooo  there's no secrets here.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The horse is already out of the barn on these CAFOs, now they`re just part of the landscape, though they aren`t the best thing possible for a community, they do provide employment for local electricians and truckdrivers.  But ironically, isn`t it kind of funny as allegedly stinky they are, there were more out there than they previously thought?    I know of a few barns that went up last fall and a couple are breaking ground this spring, one right on highway 9, I think a little east of Rock Rapids. All anticipating a boon from "someone else dealing with ASF", that`ll work as long as you don`t fall into the graves you`re digging.

0 Kudos