cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Crop history........review

I been transfering some field history spreadsheets to newer formats and even some cloud storage..... primarily 2001 - 2016.  

I used  spreadsheets format to record each operation on each field by year with the harvest record at the bottom of each SS 

It has really emphasized how much things change and how fast....... and even how memory gets distorted....

a few quick..

The drought was the cattilist for high expenses more not grain prices....we sold 3.50 to 6.50 corn as far back as 2006............

The  profitable years were 2006 - 2011  not a year since touches the profit % of those years.  At the time it did not seem that way.... but 155bu corn made a profit 6 years ago...Won't come close today.  We are back to insecticide, fungicide and multiple herbicide applications because the technology ain't working.

The old shell game . when I was watching the market, the expenses doubled and trippled ..... we all know that but it really comes home when you see a 145 bu corn crop had a $50 per acre profit less than 9 years back... What is the break even on that same field today ...... with nearly the same price options     Close to 190

Seed was $110 a bag back when the traits worked best.... Bt or RR for that price and it was your choice whether it had it or not .... competition in the market place did not drive prices down -- and they worked ....... a % of the bag failures did not happen.  And no one tried to force you to buy the traits.

Equipment cost is a larger deterent to profit and production options than seed, land, or fertilizer costs.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor

Re: Crop history........review

My most profitable years have been the last 6 years. Go figure.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I'm pretty tough on equipment --- and with irrigation we have a lot of it per acre.
Every year I take replacement cost and divide it by its acres of life less trade value. Then add labor per hour cost to get a per acre covered rate for each operation.,
A per inch/acre of water applied cost , a per acre cost for every event.
I do that so I don't get lost in the gross changes. If I don't then all I see in my review is the price of the commodity.
The difference becomes 2008 and the following bailout.
The economy that is left is paying huge fees for the economy that died or left.

Tractors, sprinklers, combines, trucks. Seed. Fertilizer. All doubled in price in less than 3 yrs. and suddenly technology tacked on a large user fee to everything.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The question is what would you charge to custom farm an acre per operation?
We don't survive cheating ourselves.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

It becomes much easier to see the real profitable years.
0 Kudos