cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Crop options

Just thinking with my keyboard here, so I'll ask you all. Planted 50 acres of an oat crop blend to put up for hay sometime this month. Well as you probably read in an earlier post, to many last freezes and the oats were estimated at 800#/A. Well that's not a lot of hay, but could get between 20 & 30 6' round bales. Nothing to impressive, but still roughly 40,000LB's worth of hay. I was considering double cropping about 12-15 acres BMR cane after wheat harvest to add to the feed pile. This will be on bottom ground were I've been told this particular plot of ground has never lost a crop due to drought in 75+ years of family ownership, but it has never been double cropped to my knowledge. Do I chemically kill the oats and pass on the BMR and put my plans of reentering the cattle business on hold for another year or go ahead with original plans and see how the feed pile looks closer towards fall? I've also got another 70 acres of brome grass that I can put up for hay to add to the fed collection. In years past, I've traded this hay ground to a neighboring producer for labor swap, but he's well aware of my intentions and is good with either the hay or just payment for putting it up for me. Not quite sure which is the best route to precede with this year. What are your alls thoughts?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Crop options

Shaggy,

i don't know if your plans are live or fed cattle, but from a price and supply perpective seems like green light.

of course i don't know details of costs etc, but all i know is cash live are about $125 --the were in the $80's just a few years ago-----supply has a pretty good haircut - is it a burr yet? it'll take a few years to re-build heard nationally - pretty thin in TX, OK, KA w/ the drought we been in, going on 3 years.

so on a profit potential with prices where they are? prices shoud stay in the 3 digits for some time - you were fortunate not to be caught w/ supply last 2 years during liquidation.

from an economic business venture stand, it makes sense from my limited view-----1 centSmiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

CX1, I would enter into the cow/calf business and probably sell calves as feeders. My folks did this for years, but occasionally they would feed out the calves and sell them as fats. At times we had over 2000 extra mouths to feed, glad those days are over.
0 Kudos
Advisor

If your oats has nodes, it has likely finished tillering. When we have a dry street during early tiller/node we don't seem to get height. If your oats are very mature and the head is near the surface you may not get much forage.

All depends on what it looks like. This may be better suited for a pro in your area than myself on a phone on a tractor
0 Kudos