cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Cultural question

This discussion is bizarre.  The young women I've seen in the business have had to fight their way in through more competence and harder work than their male counterparts.  And, it seems to me that most of the guys would rather be a macho tractor driver than a smart agronomist.  The women are smart enough to see the opportunity and seize it.

I've never seen one example of any of the women being girly about trying to influence my decisions.  They don't dress or act  or speak provocatively.  They are friendly and eager to answer my questions, but are all business, as if they want me to feel they are responsive to my concerns.  

We don't have a lot of blacks in agriculture in Iowa, but the NRCS county manager is black and we get along famously.  I don't know of any homosexual ag guys, but if there are any they aren't making an issue of it and it doesn't become an issue.  The main issue seems to be competence.

Farmers have been encouraged to form a team of experts and what I have said is that many of the experts are female.  This is going to be an increasing phenomenon.  We'd better get used to it.

As women increasingly operate farms, are the husbands to object when the wives deal with the male side of agriculture?

This discussion points out to me how the culture of agriculture is old, physically and culturally old.  And out of touch.

0 Kudos
Advisor

The one in the small cramped dusty combine trusts the one at home in the big clean house with the king size bed, sometimes late at night. Worry about who is going for a short ride in the combine? Sorry, I have much more important things to think about.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I think that`s the main thing, if there`s a reason for a combine ride along.  I suppose Big Shots like Denny Smiley Happy  have a nice clean cab and seed and chemical people want to see what he does on products from his cab.  Someone like me, the only one that would have a reason to ride along would be the mechanic and if he didn`t swear once in awhile I don`t know if I could trust a mechanic that never swore Smiley Happy

But women that are attractive aren`t fooling anyone, they know they are good looking and as a salesperson it gets their foot in the door to make their pitch.  I`m not at all politically correct, but that should be obvious to everyone, women realtors put their photo on billboards for Pete sakes.  I`m not saying they are offering anything extra or anything like that.  It`s kind of like, "here is some eye candy now listen to what i`m saying and buy what i`m selling".   Men don`t go to Hooters for the burgers, that`s all I`m sayin`.  If Hooters girls would sell seed, now we`d be talkin`  Smiley Happy

I know a gay fellow in the ag industry and he is the most competent person is a office of very competet people.  I would let him ride in the combine with me...but only if we kept the door open  Smiley Very Happy    just kidding

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

A combine cab is a pretty busy place and distractions in my cab are not always welcome.

One of the things I treasure most about farming is the solitude while in the field.

The only people allowed in the cab with me are my brother or sister when they are taking over

or my grandchildren for a short ride with grandpa on the big machine.

To Kay's question it seems to be an issue of respect and professionalism.

I agree with Jim's and SW's points of view, especially the part about immature behavior.

Everything I have and hold dear are because of my parents and my wife of 34+ years.

I hope to be aware of what makes them uncomfortable and act accordingly.

Part of that is made easier by the fact that my wife is the only woman nutty enough to have anything to do with me!!Smiley Happy

Senior Contributor

Re: Here`s the question..

@BA Deere wrote:

..and I hope it`s received in the spirit that it`s intended.  Okay, would you rather have a attractive female saleslady with you in your combine cab or a gay seed salesman? Smiley Very Happy  

Geeee, exactly what " spirit "  was that question intended ?
Also, you didn't say whether the gay salesman  was attractive or not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Jim;

I think you summed up my feelings perfectly. Just today we pulled into a field of corn and it was down in spots, I called my crop insurance salesman from waterloo FCS, who happens to be a woman and she came out and rode not in the combine but in the auger cart tractor. She seen what I had and while I was filling the semi she had talked to an adjuster and they were out their before we finished the field. I appreciate service like that from man or woman. I have to think she tries just a little harder though like Jim says because she has more to prove. And yes Ba my 2 year old combine cab is clean as well as my 3 year old auger cart tractor.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I doubt my wife would be too concerned to see me talking with an unfamiliar woman, but by that same token, I would never haul around an unfamiliar woman around with me, unless

1) I was having mechanical problems, she was the mechanic, and the only way to troubleshoot was a ride-along, or

2)  She was in distress, such as having car problems, and I was giving her a ride from the county road, to the yard so she could use the phone (I have rows that run from the road, almost to the house, and we have no cell signal where I am).

Other than that, I can see no reason to haul her around.   If she has a need to talk to me, I will shut the combine down for a few minutes.  If what she has to say is important, I'm better off not being distracted by the harvest, and if it isn't all that important, I can excuse myself after a minute or two, and go back to picking.

I may not have what a lot of people call 'culture', but I was raised, and continue to try to live, so as to show ladies as much respect as possible.  Around here, it is common to hold open a door for a lady, leave them the closer parking space (especially if they have children), etc, etc.   However, when I do occasionally venture to the 'city', that behavior seems to catch people by surprise.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I have never had a woman make a cold sales call while i was harvesting. The few females that have rode in combine/auger cart had legitimate business for being their or i called them as in the case of down corn yesterday. Now I could have shut everything down/drove out their in her pu to show her but it just made to much sense for her to ride with me while catching some corn. Plus I think with the GPS/row sense/quiet cabs on these machines it makes it a lot easier to conduct business whether man or woman while combining

0 Kudos
Advisor

BA wants to "keep the door open". No problem buddy, I don't judge. LOL
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Here`s the question..

How about if the gay seed salesman looks like a young Van Johnson, would your better-half trust you in the combine...cab door shut and 1/2 mile rows?  Smiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos