Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Cultural question

Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Here`s the question..

LOL...Van Johnson ?? I had to do the google for that.

Anyway, yes.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Part of the reason I'd stop, is because I don't have any of that stuff, and need to keep on the rows, adjust the height as I go over dips and rises, watch out for badger holes, etc.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Dang ! ( notice Jim - no bad word ) This is some funny stuff on here Smiley Happy   I have laughed all day at some of the responses - I just thought that with today's thinking that the gals are just one of the guys - lol

Here in Indiana - there's a lot of gals in ag , more every day - they are top notch ! They come to the house - the field - the shop but have yet to have one ride in the combine - man I must really have lost it - maybe I never had it - lol

The combine deal is nothing - lol  With a bad knee and a banged up elbow - My wife knows I'd be lucky to catch a Cull or a cripple - lmao

Keep up the funny stuff Smiley Very Happy

Ken

0 Kudos
Oldmanriver
Friend

Several years ago, I hosted quite a few food bloggers and writers, mostly female, here at the farm. It was after wheat harvest was over, but I saved about 10 acres to harvest, so that they could ride in a combine. It was crowded, but they rode with me two at a time. I never even considered whether it was appropriate or not, and I'm pretty sure that my wife didn't mind. I suppose that something negative could have happened, but it didn't.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Ken, you never cease to entertain.  

I am glad to hear such high opinions of females in these ag-related jobs.  Our female serviceperson for the pigs is tied for tops in our 21 years of this racket, too. go to my grave 

I think maybe there is enough of the " combine ride date" memories that might be a cause for some wives not to like the trend.  Again, I have no dog (of either gender) in the fight.  

My initial reaction was very negative, due to upbringing and our family policy, at Mike's insistence.  I guess I will go to my grave feeling this way.  

Spent some time piloting ahead of Mike moving the discbine to my place today...really emotional on an October afternoon.  Some things are just in you...

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

BA you bring up one interesting point.......  While you were busy redressing and undressing the character of the salesman, I was reminded of one of the most obvious abuses of the combine cab..   

Anybody else notice how seed reps will do whatever it takes to get in that cab and "help" you analyze your seed choices?  Ever notice how all the problems with this variety are either weather related or  genetic (depending on whether it is one of theirs or not?

No place in farming gives you the extent of opportunity to judge production choices and problems like the combine seat.  Nothing is more irritating than the interruption of that process... 

I have a similar feeling about the sprayer seat.  You just get the opportunity to observe a lot.

Thanks Kay,  this was interesting...  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I'm with you in that I don't care who is fixing my combine, man or woman, short or tall, old or young.   My response was based on an 'unfamiliar' woman.   Now, the lady mechanic at the shop off the highway, no problem.   We know each other, and what her job is to do.   However, I would never haul around an unfamiliar woman, without very good reason, out of respect to her reputation, as well as consideration to my wife, to not have to wonder what is going on.

Of course, my combine doesn't have the padded 'buddy seat', so there really wouldn't be any place to sit comfortably for any length of time.   That's why my kids ride on my knee.   I really don't know if I want to do something like that, and I KNOW no lady around here wants that story around the coffee shop  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Advisor

You are welcome.  

Funny, but, this morning, I drove the 45 minutes to a home show in Richmond.  The couple that does all of wood boiler work for us had a booth, and I was just in the mood to do something, after two rainy weeks straight.  

Joking with the wife, I  asked hiw things were going. She brought up that their daughter, who is 22, a model, did REALLY well sellng yesterday.  

I said, " She's yours, so she's smart."

She said, " Yeah, but she's also young and cute."  That made me start noticing the ways booths were staffed, and who was getting attention.  

Told Mike about the conversation, and he said, " Sex sells."  

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

SW   Don't know what's up although every time I ask for a yield data from the combine I am told it's not working  -  maybe it's due to a passenger in the cab  ?   

0 Kudos