cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

DOT Compliance???

Since we have only recently been hauling loads of hay and a few cows across the state line, we hadn't really heard anything about DOT interstate compliance.  Just wondered if any of you have to do teh DOT interstate registration, hold a CDL, etc., just to haul farm commodities. 

Neither Raleigh nor Richmond gave us the true picture, and I enrolled for a DOT number, as we were instructed to do, since anything on a 3500 dually and trailer will exceed 10,000 pounds.  Heck, they exceed it empty.  Just got a letter issuign our number, and it sounds pretty ominous...Mike will have to get at least a classified CDL to haul hay to our herd in VA. 

Ever since the online registration, we have been getting slammed with calls from companies that "help" us comply.  I am thinking we can figure it out for ourselves, unless it is just too much red tape. 

Mike is ready to say "screw it"!  I say we are in the system now, so cannot plead ignorance.

Any of you caught in this circle of hell, too?  Is it something too very difficult to do?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Re: DOT Compliance???

I was trying to haul logs less than 20 miles from my farm into Kentucky. I had a 33000 GVW truck. Soooo... Yep I was caught in that same circle of hell. From now on I'll sell in state or hire a truck to haul my logs out of state.
0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Some states play well it the sandbox and others don't. You probably need a medical card to go into another state. Farmers hauling their own products may be given more leeway... Or not, were all kind of at the mercy of the DOT guy. A big thing is a bumper hitch trailer pulled by a 1/2ton pickup, its almost always overloaded. Check with your local Farm Bureau and DOT office for specific questions, there might be compliance seminars.
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Boy Kay -  Wish you would have posted something up first before you all did the DOT numbers game - I have a truck on the road - Have all the Fed Numbers + KYU numbers - anything you put up on the Fed site is public info - thats why you are getting 14 thousand calls - you can go back in and make changes to your info - change your TX number to one that don't matter - or they will ding dong you guys to death !

I don't know how your states laws are - so you really - like BA said is call your state DOTand ask what you need to do - I would think - as long as your hauling your our hay - you would not need the DOT numbers - here in Indiana - the driver of a farm truck - only needs to have a DOT med card - But like I said -  don't have a clue about your state , There are farmers on all 4 sides of the state and never heard of one problem crossing sate lines with there own stuff - As us - We haul for hire and have to play by Fed rules -  Now I have to ask - why did you all put in for DOT numbers in the first place ? If not for hire ? Just wondering -  Just hope you havea full head of hair - cause you will be pulling it out - Smiley Surprised

Ken

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

DMV in Richmond didn't seem to give a rat's patoot.  Raleigh was more strident.  If we didn't have to cross that magical imaginary state line, no problems!  We were told 10,001 pounds and up has to have DOT number. 

This is how the division of labor went here: Mike said to go online and get the number, no cost, no big deal.  I did as told. 

He started freaking out at all the compsnies calling to " help us comply."  His hearing is bad enough that he thiught at least one that he returned calls to was the FMCSA of USDOT.  I called one back, and heard the word " customer" on his voicemail, so knew it was a sales call.  

Got the DOT letter today.  I think Mike will need a Classified CDL, and we will have to stan, SIL with CDL will have to stand for safety inspection annually. SiL used to service hazmat trucks, so he knows all the rules there.  

The CDL is a regular road test and scheduled road test, which SIL says is backing your trailer into cones with five feet to spare each way.  

Worst case scenario, SIL will have to haul a few loads of bales from here to VA, and Mike is the healthiest one of us, so ought to be okay. 

I wil call the agency on Monday, and learn the score.  

0 Kudos
WCMO
Senior Advisor

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Apparently not.  Our kids got pulled hauling their own hay on their truck with our trailer.  That is what started everything.  They got a warning, we got busy researching. 

Mike took it to Virginia and North Carolina DMV.  They gave conflicting versions, neither of ehich agrees with federal regulations.  He was told to file for a free DOT number.  Display it on the truck doors.   I registered online, which as said above put us into the hat for every company that serves the trucking industry.

The letter that arrived today sounded very ominous at first glance.  Most of the 

heavy-handed stuff is if you are for hire, which we are not.  I will call the agency, see which parts of this apply.  

Mike says in the meantime that he will load the back of his pickup with two bales every trip up,which would make ten trailer loads over time.  That's half of the crop we take off here, and really only ought to be necessary in a bad drought. 

I think we will figure it out...just bugs me to have one more agency to appease! 

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Once you get a DOT number then you get hundreds of letters and emails that sound really urgent and official from 'helpfull" companies, not at all affliated with the government.  After awhile you get numb to it all and delete the emails and throw the letters in the trash...maybe I delete important stuff, but if the DOT needs to really get ahold of me, they know where I live, they can just drive out.

Basically Kay, if you have your farm`s name and commercial no. on the door they`ll leave you alone.  If you`re hauling hay put on twice the number of required straps and the DOT-boys will pass right on by.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Yeah, the one guy Mike did talk to was blowing his mind, which I knew to be on purpose, so it would seem overwhelming.  That backfired, because he handed the problem to me at that point.  

I listened to the answering machine messages, realized they were business solicitations.  Tried to call the one guy, to see exactly who Mike had spent time with, for my informational purposes only. When his answering message used the word " customer" twice, I just hung up and didn't bother to leave a callback number. I despise companies who use fear as a marketing tool. 

The DOT letter was sort of spooky sounding, but it really basically says that if we aren't for hire, a safety inspection and CDL should suffice.  The truck already gets inspected, and we are hoping the state inspection process will suffice, for our very limited usage.

Anyway, we have enough hay in Virginia, thanks to taking in my farm, to last probably the normal winter.  If we need what's in the barn here in Carolina, we should gave sufficient time to jump through a reasonable number of hoops.    

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

Kay  - Here in Indiana - We deal with the Indiana State Police - for the DOT stuff - even had one here at the house checking out my paper work - all have been great to deal with ----so far Smiley Happy   Not the BMV - they don't know jack ---t   they think they do - lol    Who is in charge of DOT down there ??? There the ones you need to talk to - not DMV  - The ones that enforce it is the go to guys or gals .

The real pizzer here is the Feds set the rules so why arn't all the States on the same page ??? It would be SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO simple - IF all states were the same for farm and for commerical but as you are finding out - it can cause your blood pressure rise - I still can't believe you need DOT numbers for  a farm truck - if it is not for hire - Know I do have  semi I just use on the farm nd don't have numbers on it - Bu if I hook to my drop deck for custom spraying then I would need them - even the guys at the CaseIH shop has to have them on there big service trucks - because they are for hire .  If it was me - I would hate to put DOT numbers on my pickup to haul my own hay - Now this is just me thinking out loud here - But haveing a truck on the road - Playing with DOT is not as simple as one would think and to -

0 Kudos