Did you mean: 
WCMO
Senior Advisor

Re: DOT Compliance???

0 Kudos
rawhide
Advisor

DEpends how you tag it.  Farm tag no DOT number. Don't say you can make it easy or I will put you on the ballot for Prezidents.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

It is not the states  at least for us.... the states are fine and work together well out here on the Okla/Ks line anyway.

And for years interstate commerce was commercial carriers only.(the trucks/busses for hire)  If you carried your product to market across a state line you were a farm tag....

Don't blame the states.  The federal government changed their rules and threatened to take away highway funds if the states didn't enforce the new federal rules... So the states got stuck with enforcing their state laws and the new imposed federal laws which now define everything over 10K weight that crosses a state line a commercial vehicle needing a DOT number.  For a while we even had campers from the midwest going to a spot in Arizona for the winter stopped along the side of the road because they didn't meet federal guidelines..   A hummer with a canteen may need a DOT #.  It is a mess....  If you follow the letter of the law you can't get your farm equipment across a state line... without a commercial drivers license and it all better meet code... Not sure how your supposed to get a tractor to axle out on the axle scales but if you meet a state trooper who 

We finally did as someone else suggested.  We got the number, got it on the trucks.  and quit getting stopped.  

The newer federal regs contradict state law..when it comes to agriculture and the folks who farm on both sides of a line.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Mike's research showed that neither state cares, as long as we are under 26,000 pounds.  If we cross the state line, regulatory influence from USDOT starts at 10,001 pounds.  Go figure! 

I am asking him to stop at a shop that does semis on both sides of the line...one is right on his way home today...and ask what we have to do to get compliant.  All hauling is for the farm.  We never haul for hire.  All we really need to haul is the trailer and hay.  Don't really plan to take cows back south, but it might make sense to summer steers there, just to dkacken the demand on the forages here.  

What bugs me is the "2 to 4 hour safety audit".  WTH can take that long? 

Anyway, I plan to call the agency this morning.  Maybe that will clear up the fog Mike has been in, since he started trying to understand this issue.  And, he thought my job is easy....

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW  - The '' thirst '' of state treasurey's for  $$$ is a bigger driver than the  "" FED's "" strong arm ,  ask any seasoned trucker for years the '''' goings on """  of  US  highway 54 through  SW  Kansas and OKlahoma panhandle - Guymans  45 mph speed limit east of town and the DOT boys at  '' Goodwell ''' for decades have little to do with DC and lots to do with Texas County -       

0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Here in Ohio, they consider log hauling commercial. Even if they are your logs, cut by you, from your own land. After a year I "surrendered" my DOT number. Just not worth the hassle. How do you know which of these calls, emails, and letters are legit. Hey Ken one of the worst was the state of Indiana. Thy sent an email every week wanting money.
0 Kudos
buckfarmer
Senior Contributor

Oh yea I forgot about my safety audit. It was the best part of the process. Auditor was more helpful figuring out what was really needed than anyone. I did actually fail because I started hauling before the audit (note lie about that if asked). But he told me how to easily rectify that as well. Good luck.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

That was well worded.... experience???  

I don't want to give too much away for fear of retribution....... But the main culpret in your accurate statement lives in Hooker. (Where, by the way, you can stop at the roadside store and buy an area history book, all 4 volumes on every aunt and uncle who has resided there, and a "Hooker Horney Toad" T shirt.

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

I was going to the trouble of coming to Oklahoma for a court apperance for one of the so called tickets of an shipment for Union Pacific - county attorney office asked me why I would commute all the way from Nebraska to appear -  after that discussion the charges were dismissed - very interesting --- The  gray area of exemption has brought all of this to the surface along with the language barriers of certain drivers ---  CHEAPER only lasts so long and then everybody pays eventually --- Some of the vessels traveling down the road and the over capacity of their cargo's is quite unsettling to say the least ---  

k-289
Senior Advisor

Kaye -  IF  you are over   102 inches wide even hauling hay and not enough tie down straps - a flag just went up - numerous times in the midwest I have come up on a unplanned dropping of hay bales on the roadside - lites a flashing with DOT officers present---

0 Kudos