cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smokeyjay
Advisor

Dan Looker's latest on farm bill

I'm not sure where Dan Looker gets his information on the winners and losers of the most recent farm bill components.  He writes that Wheat and Rice are the "winners" with higher loan rates.  

He writes, "Another complication in the negotiations, as we reported earlier this week, is that the farm bill may have three different choices for farmers. One might be higher loan rates for some commodities, with wheat and rice rumored to be big winners.  A revenue-based program is seen as more favorable to corn and soybean farmers. And an enhanced crop insurance program may encourage more participation in that portion of the farm bill, now the largest, by cotton farmers."

An enhanced crop insurance program is desired by more than cotton farmers, not to mention coverage of shallow loses that crop insurance doesn't cover.  I fail to see how a higher loan rate is all that beneficial for wheat farmers, if that's all they will get in the next farm bill.  It's a puny bone thrown out to appease a few hungry dogs, nothing more.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Dan Looker's latest on farm bill

I know this is a jaded point of view, smokey,but you know the answer to this sort of situation: Follow the money. Someone knows someone who has something...this is all less about food security and farm safety nets than it is about lobbying.
0 Kudos
smokeyjay
Advisor

Well, you may be right.  I happen to know wheat growers are not lobbying for this component at all.  It is somebody else.

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

I find it appalling that Congress decides they can't get together on a bill and has to abdicate their authority to a super committee.  In ancient Greece, this would be rule by oligarchs.  Secret meetings, lack of accountabilty and no way to amend the results.  Shame on Congress and shame on us for tolerating this.

When the next farm bill comes out, we'll have the same reaction as the last one - there will be classes by extension agents on how ot optimize one's operation with the new constraints.  Last time, Iowa State make money for two years sending around agents to teach us how to work the loan program.

I am very willing to consider stepping aside from the next farm bill if I consider it onerous.  That is, if I have to give up more freedom or information than I feel their money is worth, I'll stand aside.  i bet I am not the only one. 

0 Kudos
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Exactly right Jim. My rep and my senator are supposed to represent me and his constituants. He is not to delegate the power and influence to someone else. If they want to do that then lets govern with 12 people and send the rest home.

If I wanted someone else to make decisions for me, I would vote for that someone else. And then they put limits on what can be int the legislation and if congress doesn't accept the legislation as written, then wholesale budget cuts will automatically occur.

I don't know why they must set things up this way as if this fine super commitee has god like powers and if we fail to accept their solution lock stock and barrel, the congress will be forced to make cuts whether they are logical or not.

0 Kudos