cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Decline of farmers

There are alwasy people who find a strategy like that, and run with it.  It is a mistake to measure yourself as a farmer against that kind of mindset...developing land ruins it for ag pretty much forever.  Most of us have put down roots more in one spot, I would think. 

At any rate, development in most areas is a dead duck right now, so he's had to adapt or die, too, don't you think? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Decline of farmers toughguy

YUP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

He has cancer and is in his 70's.  His land development days are over.  However, he has broke and developed thousands of acres in three locations over his lifetime.  The lions share of his wealth was created by land development rather than farming.  I've been told there's quite a bit of land development going on to this day in Nebraska.  Most of it is taking place in the northeast part of the state.  In 2000, we were hit similar to Texas with a drought.  I took roughly three fourths of my cow herd up into the sandhills.  There was abandoned pivot after abandoned pivot up there.  Apparently, the ground was broke out in the 70's and the developers or whoever went broke in the 80's because the ground just wasn't suited for farming.  A friend of mine was up there last summer and told me that every single one of those abandoned pivots was back into production. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Just like some oil wells that weren't worth bothering to operate when oil was cheap are back in production today, any acre of land can become "marginal" or "productive" again, based uppon commodity prices.  We saw this with mineral rights that were leased in 1989, and not even approached for mining until 1996/7. 

The same acre of land can be made productive for one thing, but marginal for other things, and vice versa.  When it is all about the Benjamins, then the bottom line is the driving force. 

0 Kudos