cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Demonizing Mainstream Media

Kay, \\

I just can't agree with collecting any information from comedians.  (Unless you can revive Red Skelton.)  They are more biased these days than the politicians.  But your thought accurately depicts the worthlessness of the american information merchants.

When biased satire is more reliable than the evening news,  that says something.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The biggest problem with actually responding to negative press is the logical quandary/impractibility/impossibility of trying to prove a negative...as in "pink slime isn't bad for you" "BSE didn't enter thr food supply". etc. 

It is virtually never possible to undo the damage of innuendo with data or other scientific proof.  Even if you do, the critics will say your science was "bought."

So, most of the time, the tactic of any ag industry is to hunker down until the s^&tstorm is over.  We all seem to get our turn, eventually. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I disagree with you Kay.  I think Stewart and Colbert are very serious about what they do.

I also think they are very good at showing us the absurdity and exposing the spin put on stories.  I think it is a sad state of affairs in this country that "main stream new media" gets away with slanting and spinning the news.   unfortunately I think there are many loyal news followers that choose their network and then don't even realize the slant that is being fed to them on a daily basis.

But then again the spin is getting so bad during this election year that Stewart and Colbert are losing some of their objectivity simply because the "main stream" is becoming so extreme.

It's kind of coming to the point of we need, especially election news done with comedy to make us laugh because otherwise we'd all be crying all the time over the sorry state of our government.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Re:Pink slime comes from cattle

The same product from hogs is called pork sausage.

What a difference a label makes.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Re: Re:Pink slime comes from cattle

The  "media" has called the beef checkoff for an audit since 2010 with none results and unprecedented political posturing---

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Not all press is bad.  Even the positive press the beef industry gets, they don't even get behind it.  A few years back when the Atkins diet was the latest fad, the beef industry didn't even promote or get behind this.  If the beef industry would have explained the products in hotdogs and such that everyone loves and compared it to pink slime, this entire thing would have boiled over without a hitch.  By hunkering down, they pretty much are admitting defeat.  If one looks back at the media coverage, nobody provided any scientific proof that pink slime is actually bad for anyone.  There was absolutely zero reason to try and fight science with science. 

It's just like all meats.  Everytime we have an ecoli or salmonella scare, what does everyone do?  Rather than hunkering down or as I say cowering down, they should try to make the public aware that fully cooking meat products actually does kill ecoli and such.  I've always wondered why some entrepreneur out there hasn't developed a small inexpensive disposable thermometer to place in meat while cooking it so everyone knows they cooked the meat to the proper temperature to kill these bacteria.  More and more food products are showing up from China.  I have been to China.  If consumers fear our food supply, they're gonna love China's food safety. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Food is one thing...we can at least grow our own feed as families...what really concerns me is the medications that come from China.  None of what's gone on in terms of protecting consumer and patient safety makes any sense, when you talk about outsourcing. 

I can't quite put my finger on this one; but, there is some disconnect in reasoning, when transporting food from another side of the world, with ever-increasing enerby costs, still doesn't equal more food production locally, or at least nationally, for American consumption. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

You mean like the little red button that pops out, when your turkey is done?

It would seem to be a very simple process, to stick them in roasts, and such.

A buddy of mine, has a meat fork, with a built in thermometer.  Stab it into a hamburger, and in about 5-6 seconds, it gives the internal temperature.  You can use the same fork, for flipping, and serving.  A brilliant idea, that few people seem to use.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

It's called labor cost.  I can't even imagine how high fuel would have to go before it equalized the labor cost difference.  Baldwin filters used to always be made right here in Nebraska.  Now, they simply make a few components; ship them to China; and the Chinese assemble the filters.  One would naturally assume a five buck filter would be cheaper to just assemble here.  However, this isn't the case when labor costs are involved.  It's not just the hourly difference either.  It's all the "perks" that factories must pay in order to get workers.  Ten years or so ago, a friend of mine who is an engineer for Cat. told me what the actual cost in terms of sheet metal, plastic, etc. went into making a combine.  At the time, this cost only made up 15 percent of what those same combines sold for.  He told me labor costs, overhead, etc. made up the remainder.  I'm guessing this is why so many things come from China. 

Yesterday, I had my wife get me some electrolites to feed one of our bottle calf twins because it was dehydrated.  I read on the package that even this was made in China.  I used to never check labels much on food products as I don't do the grocery shopping.  A couple of years ago for some reason I read the label on the juice I was drinking.  I about dropped on the floor when I saw it came from China.  I told my wife to never bring another food item into this house labeled made in China.  I have been to China.  Granted it was 20 years ago, but there were no safety regulations over there.  The factories are crammed with people, and I wouldn't exactly call them sanitary either.  I'm sure some things have changed, but I'm not willing to risk my health over it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Here is my made in China story. Was walking through the pet department and noticed pig ears that dogs use as chew toys. You guessed it, made in China! What are we doing with the ears off of 400,000 head of hogs a day? 

0 Kudos