cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Depopulation - Who Cares

SF has an article online about 80% of rural counties are depopulating.

Farms are consolidating.  Bigger combines, sprayers, soon autonomous vehicles.  

You wouldn't hire anyone if they were there, right?

Seriously, what difference does it make if the kids move to town to get a job?  They still into your social security.

Ah, but they aren't paying for road up keep.  The stores close (but you by online anyway).

What DIRECT affect does less population have on your farming operation?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Depopulation - Who Cares

It won`t directly affect me.  A twenty-something couple wanting to get into farming or a ag business won`t have the same childhood for their children as they had when they grew up.   The churches close, no gray haired old Sunday school teacher telling the kids "don`t steal or lie", no more old guys playing Santa Claus from 4 to 6pm giving the kids cheap trinkets, no trick or treating, no ice cream socials and parades, no Pee Wee baseball diamond kept up by the town, no summer fireworks and free movies in the park.

For the young couple, no peers to professionally challenge them, no Lions Club, Kiwanis, Masons, Rotary International.  No volunteer fire department or ambulance service.  

Many towns around are or have celebrated their sesquicentennial, I reckon the population will eventually revert back to when they were founded or one day unincorporate themselves....nothin` new under the Sun.   The last 100 or so years were just a golden era for rural communities, but what are ya gonna do to keep `em on the farm?  We all can`t be God`s chosen people and farm +10,000 acres, ain`t enough land in the township for everyone.

`til then us oldsters cling to the towns like foxfire on rotted wood.   We raise these genius kids and Silicon Valley steals them away with their big salaries and mountains and oceans a short drive away.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One of the big issues in rural areas is finding a church. If MN would have green lighted 100,000 Ethiopian Christians to immigrate to our fair state we would have revitalized the dying Lutheran Faith with a conservative branch that goes back to the hard working missionaries that started the churches there and maybe the new blood would have inspired the misguided ELCA to stop and take stock of what they are doing.

I would like to find a rural church with an old school Minister that still believes in the Bible and that hasn't been corrupted by the ELCA and what passes for gospel and truth in the ELCA seminaries these days. It's no longer teaching that I recognize and I am far from alone in that. I think close to half of Lutherans have left the ELCA over what they are trying to cram down the church people's throats. It is rare to hear a minister even mention the word "sin" these days.....they don't want to offend any of the liberal types that believe they can live however they wish and that nothing is sinful.

And as far as funding the ELCA and especially LSS, I feel that is now like giving money to a Satanic cult. Probably going to start just earmarking my donations for the cemetery funds, and honoring the good Christians buried there.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Interesting.  It's not the economics it's the culture.  And we old geezers are on the way out, like it or not.

I'm not sure the "dying rural" life is sustainable, and if the population did increase, there seems to be some chance the people would have different beliefs and social practices.

It's not the rural area that's dying, it's the old timers in it.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Well if you use pork production as an analogy, up until the 90`s they were "mortgage lifters" most farms had farrow to finish hogs and marketed them to one of 3 buying stations in a 10 miles away.  That supported communities and small businesses, in my opinion was a very good thing as long as it lasted.   Now, one guy owns the hog barn, a company owns the hogs, one guy gets the manure and another guy does the hog chores and the hogs are hauled to the plant 100 miles away.   In my opinion the latter and current hog model isn`t a rural community enhancer.

But we`ve all had a sip of the corporate Kool aid and that`s all many of us know.  Young "pork producers" know about checking feeders and loading hogs, but couldn`t know less about farrowing sows, everything`s been specialized.   And the rest of agriculture is going that way, cow/calf operations being probably the last bastion of independence.  

Most small towns thrived on the farmer coming in and selling grain and livestock and then going to the cafe, hardware store and department store...well, when that John Morrell or Hormel buying station closed so goes the community, though in a 10 mile radius of town they never raised so many hogs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Our church had to combine with 4 others and share 2 Pastors (that do communion, weddings baptisms, funerals) and a couple lay preachers.  When the whole deviancy issue came up a few years ago, we lost one church in the parish, but picked up another and we remained in the ELCA.  I was on council at the time of "the vote" we have a prominent couple who`s grandson is a deviant and they of course love him very much.   After thought and prayer on the matter, I came up with that we are all sinners and struggle with sin, a deviant is a fellow traveler as much as someone that subscribes to Playboy magazine (for the articles of course) and swears a blue streak loading hogs.

I don`t think deviants should be chased away, perhaps time in church will heal them like the rest of us sinners.  I was reassured that we can discriminate in the hiring of a pastor under ELCA guidelines if they are deviant.   Just as I wouldn`t be okay with a shoplifter being the church pastor, I wouldn`t want someone that embraces other sins as head of the church.  

I`m very happy with my church and pastor.   I guess my complaint is many Lutherans don`t touch the Book of Revelations and Ezekiel though to our credit we don`t buy into the rapture theory.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXCV4Wd7KkU

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

The  irony  being  -  where's  the  '''  cheap '''  pork   -  going  to  China  -  maybe ,  along  with  a  little  extra  E Q U I P  $$$   for  smithy - fields  -  -  -

While   we   hear  the  chorus  of   song  and  dance  of  ''  EX PORTS '' ,  while  importing  feed   stuffs  ingredient's ,from  where  else  but  ASIA   -  ? 

NICE  the  A . S.  Flu   mecca ,  maybe  a  name  change  from  Africa  to  Asia  would,  could  be  more  business  like , appropriate  -   -   -

South Dakota State  University  was  advertising  on  wnax - radio  about  up  coming  meetings  on  Foreign  Animal  Disease Preparedness  meetings  in  conjunction  with  the  South Dakota Pork Producers  on  Hoof  &  Mouth  Disease   -  interesting  -   -   -

Hopefully  the  imports  &  exports  don't  cause  a  HUGE  dilemma  -  history  will  tell  U S  -   -   -   

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

One  more  thing  74  %  of  pork  production  is  consumed  in  the  U S A  ,   -  home  grown  ,  consumer  -   -   -

Some  say  stats  are  unreliable ,   who  knows - ? 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I recall what a old high school teacher once said about solving problems "For every problem that`s solved, two more are created" .   Just the way I see things, that`s what`s happened in farming, we`ve been running on a "race to the bottom" every since Earl Butz had his "fencerow to fencerow" cheap food policy.  We expanded on free trade promises and that unattainable brass ring of "feeding 9 billion people".   Trouble is there aren`t 9 billion people...there`s 7 billion and they`ve learned how to feed themselves and want to actually sell us ag products.  

So we`ve solved the feeding the world problem (no doubt hungry people in their world, but that`s due to their governments)  that "solution" broke many farmers and rural communities.  When there`s money in farming, there`s no shortage of young people that would like to farm and no shortage of existing farmers that would love to expand to twice or greater their number of acres.   And here we are, waiting with baited breath on if China will buy more pork & beans from us at continued below cost of production prices.  So, I`ll ask the rhetorical question, any guesses how this`ll turn out?  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Is it "depopulation" or from young people moving to the cities or the fact that the younger generation is having less children?

0 Kudos