cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Did you see the doc denigrating sugar yesterday?

It seems like sugar is sugar and sugar has fructose in  it just like high fructose corn syrup. They are both bad for us and high risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes with some chance of promoting cancers.

He said they suspect that fructose is addictive much in the same way as cocaine in that it stimulates the same area of the brain.

What does that mean to farmers? Perhaps more sugar and corn into ethanol which will fuel our cars and improve the health of consumers which will be buying ethanol much longer.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Did you see the doc denigrating sugar yesterday?

Saw it

We are becoming so smart that we are loosing our grip on the obvious.  I will probably soon be stealing cars to get my ice cream. Smiley Happy

Or at least have a good defense.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

If I had any stock in Krispy Kreme I would be dumping it.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Ya---for sure----------------- a few years ago might have been better.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Now that the Functional MRI can show what a brain is actually doing while it's dealing with the things we say and do, it opens up a lot of possibilities for uncovering links between actions and consequences.  Humans are petty much slaves to the sensations their brains perceive and prefer. 

We are just really beginning to understand what substances light that fire, and how.  Once you figure that out, you are closer to understanding the essence of addiction.  That would be the precurser to figuring out ways to safely block the stimulus/response chain of events.

At any rate, it gives people some respite from the myth of "too little willpower" over desserts and snack foods.  That has been made a moral issue, instead of a chemical one, which is what it always should have been. 

0 Kudos