cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Diesel surging -- have you got supply contracted already?

Saw a report earlier that shows diesel prices have, somewhat quietly, risen pretty consistently over the last few weeks to the point where, as of Monday, prices are almost a buck higher per gallon than they were a year ago, according to the federal government. Prices dipped just slightly over the last week (we're talking 100ths of cents), but for the Fed's Midwest region, they're showing the average price is $3.85/gallon, and that's 93 cents higher than a year ago. Looks like we could be headed for a record price -- the highest since Hurricane Katrina caused fuel to spike a few years ago. 

Has everybody got their diesel contracted already for this spring? Are grain prices right now enough to buffer the blow of these kinds of diesel prices heading into spring? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Frequent Contributor

Re: Diesel surging -- have you got supply contracted already?

When I saw the youtube video of the Tunisian citizens in a hospital that had been massacred by their government, I immediately called my supplier and locked in half of this year's supply.

Looks like a should have done the full year's worth.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I lock in all my gas and at least some of my diesel every winter in the december-february time frame.  I wish I'd locked in more diesel.  Hopefully, it will come back down by harvest time but that may be wishful thinking.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Bought a bunch about 3 weeks ago for $3.08.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RHiebert
Veteran Reader

On the topic of  "tune up all engines", my suggestion is using synthetic motor lubes & greases in vehicles and machinery. They are available and sometimes the price not much more but the advantage will be proven w/ less down-time, less fuel consumption and less wear & tear, ie. hydraulics.  

0 Kudos