cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Disgusting Iowa Press interview

The "Chinese owned" Smithsfield?   How popular is Big Pork Inc in North Carolina?  Just the average resident of that state driving through the stink on the way to the beach and digging their wells deeper to get away from the nitrates?   I would caution the NPPC to not overplay their hand there or in Iowa, as most 95+% residents have more money in their pockets from cheap pork in the supermarket (resulting from Chinese tariffs) than money lost from the tariffs.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

What does China do when Brazilian farmers see the China tariffs against US soybeans making them 25% more expensive?   Well if I was a Brazilian farmer, I`d hold off selling until I saw at least a 24% increase in my price.  😉

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

But you gotta admit this Chinese stuff is cheap

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/business/02toy.html   

Mattel, the maker of Barbie dolls and Hot Wheels cars, is recalling nearly one million toys in the United States today because the products are covered in lead paint.

According to Mattel, all the toys were made by a contract manufacturer in China.

The recall, the second biggest this year involving toys, covers 83 products made from April 19 to July 6. Many of them feature Sesame Street and Nickelodeon characters — including the Elmo Tub Sub, the Dora the Explorer Backpack, and the Giggle Gabber, a toy shaped like Elmo or Cookie Monster that toddlers shake to hear giggles and funny noises.

Mattel says it prevented more than two-thirds of the 967,000 affected toys from reaching consumers by stopping the products in its distribution centers and contacting retailers, like Wal-Mart, Target and Toys ‘R’ Us, late last week. But more than 300,000 of the tainted toys have been bought by consumers in the United States. According to the  

https://topdogtips.com/dog-food-made-in-china/   

China Pet Food

0 Kudos
k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Re: But you gotta admit this Chinese stuff is cheap

Trade'n  beef  parts  for  chicken  nuggets ,  sweet  deal  for  Whom  ?  TOO  much  reGURlation I'm told ?

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: But you gotta admit this Chinese stuff is cheap

Yum yum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutter_oil   

Reprocessing of used cooking oil is often very rudimentary; techniques include filtration, boiling, refining, and the removal of some adulterants.[3] It is then packaged and resold as a cheaper alternative to normal cooking oil. Another version of gutter oil uses discarded animal parts, animal fat and skins, internal organs, and expired or otherwise low-quality meat, which is then cooked in large vats in order to extract the oil. Used kitchen oil can be purchased for between $859 and $937 per ton, while the cleaned and refined product can sell for $1,560 per tonne.[4] Thus there is great economic incentive to produce and sell gutter oil.

It is estimated that up to one in every ten lower-market restaurant meals consumed in China is prepared with gutter oil.[5] This high prevalence is due to what Feng Ping of the China Meat Research Center has made clear: "The illegal oil shows no difference in appearance and indicators after refining and purification because the law breakers are skillful at coping with the established standards."[6]

History[edit]

The first documented case of gutter oil in Taiwan was reported in 1985. In a subsequent investigation, 22 people were arrested for involvement in a recycling oil ring over 10 years based in Taipei. The worst offender was sentenced to 7 years in prison.[7] Additionally, there was a report of an earlier incident in Taiwan in the 1960s, where "trench oil" was imported from Japan to Taiwan and then used in food processing.[8]

The first documented case of gutter oil in mainland China was reported in 2000, when a street vendor was found to be selling oil obtained from restaurant garbage disposals.[9]

In September 2012, an ongoing investigation into the suspected use of gutter oil as a raw material in the Chinese pharmaceutical industry was revealed.[10] A scandal involving 240 tons of gutter oil in Taiwan affecting hundreds of companies and thousands of eateries, some of which may have been exported overseas, broke in September 2014.[11]

Production and distribution[edit]

The collected waste oil is sold to local workshops or small factories for cleaning and packaging. When sold to workshops it is often transported on the back of bicycles by peddlers who are paid a monthly wage; afterwards, the oil is held in 200-liter barrels at the workshops until it is processed.[12] On other occasions the oil goes to industrial cooking oil refineries for further processing before it finally reaches its end purpose. The industrial oil refineries are usually legitimate producers that sell the processed oil for use in the chemical or energy industries. Gutter oil is perfectly suitable as a raw ingredient for producing soap, rubber, bio-fuel, and cosmetics.[4] However, the refiners can also have other intentions as the prices attained by selling it as cooking oil are much higher than if it is sold to the chemical or energy industries.

There are few formal rules or protocols in place to prevent purchases from or sales to entities intending to use the oil for human consumption,[citation needed] so it is very easy for individuals or wholesalers to purchase oil from these industrial refineries and then resell the oil to restaurants or to end consumers. There have been some cases where the industrial oil refiner packaged the oil under a unique brand name and sold it as legitimate oil in retail outlets as opposed to just selling directly to restaurants.[citation needed] Some lower-market restaurants have long-term purchase agreements with oil recyclers for selling their used oil.[13][14]

Low-end restaurants and street vendors are the biggest end users of gutter oil, as they operate with lower profit margins than bigger restaurants. Oil is one of the largest kitchen supply costs for restaurants,[citation needed] so obtaining cheaper oil can allow a marginal restaurant to reduce its overall expenses. Chinese food is generally heavily dependent on oil due to most foods being fried, so cheaper meal prices for many price-sensitive consumers are possible if gutter oil is used instead of virgin oil.[15] The situation becomes more serious because it is hard to distinguish reprocessed gutter oil from legitimate oil. Bleach is used to transform gutter oil's dark color into a more natural-looking one, and alkali additives are used to neutralize the abnormal pH caused by high concentrations of animal fats.[9]

0 Kudos

Picked picked nit:

SOUTH Carolina

i can send you an editing contract if you like.  Sometimes it fells like a job.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

kudos Bruce, anytime someone can find a legitimate inaccuracy in what I say, I thank them. Get my Carolinas mixed up, my bad 😊

0 Kudos
JimMeade
Veteran Advisor

I heard a Craig Hll interview the other day about him running for Iowa Sec Ag.  He went on and on about his membership in this and that and his leadership of this and that.  About 2-3 minutes into the interview, in answer to a leading question, he admitted he was a farmer.  That kind of about tore it for me.

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Yes, being a lowly Farm Bureau man, I hate to say it but these cushy well paying jobs sort of put their head in the clouds and they lose touch with the grass roots.  Craig Lang was a good man, but he was there way too long too.  The Farm Bureau needs "term limits" even more so than the politicians.   Those jobs are so juicy they fight hard for them and don`t want to ever give them up.  They chum around with politicians and captains of industry and it rubs off on them and the heck with the members.

k-289
Esteemed Advisor

Might  we  suppose  the  exports  to  China  came  from  their  own  company  first ,   NOW  What ,  is  not  a  good  position  to  carry  on --- 

0 Kudos