cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Severe Weather Plan?

Lots crazy weather out there. Good luck and be safe!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Here's another one for you....

Thanks for so much information, from your extensive experience with fire.

We tend not to have such huge grass fires here...for one thing, our grass is kept hayed down, and is irrigated in between cuttings.

Woodland fires can get pretty intense, but we have some separation from treelines, and I guess we could turn the irrigation gun onto that area, if fire approached.

I know myself and my husband well enough to say we would run from fire if necessary.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

One other thing I thought of, that may be useful.  A scanner radio.  I have one that tunes to the weather spotters, police, and fire department.  You can hear firsthand, where the tornadoes may be, and which way they are going.

Also, strike up a conversation with the local fire/rescue guys, go to their fundraiser.  I know quite a few of our personally (you know how small towns are) and they know I have a chain saw, cutting torch, and even a tractor, if they need to borrow something to help someone else out.  I can remember one time, they needed bolt cutters, to remove a power line that had gotten wound up around a truck axle, when their jaws of life were being used somewhere else.  While they don't like untrained people showing up at accident scenes, they seem to appreciate knowing they can come here, and borrow something, rather than have to run 18 miles each way to town and back to get something.  Besides, when they break an axe handle, they replace it with a very nice fiberglass one Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good suggestions...our SIL is on the nearest VFD...he knows everything we've got here. 

I also registered some of our resources with the county's EMS coordinator...he was very impressed with what we had on hand then, which was nothing, compared to now.   You rcounty mae keep a similar database. 

Mike and I had a very good conversation on the way for supper out and a couple of errands this evening.  We talked about that multipurpose gadget you posted on the link here.  I plan to order one on my next amazon surfing excursion. 

Hoping to hear from Safe Sheds very soon! My stash of stuff is almost ready to move in. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I ordered this one yesterday, plus the two cords shown with it, since several reviews criticized the lack of a cord to charge with, and since they were about $4, cheaper than typing up a good long cord:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030B2N10/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Cost a bit more, but I liked the fact that it can stay plugged in without a problem.  Better reviewed than most of these units were.  The inverter  isn't all that  beefy, but I already have a single-purpose one sufficient to run a refrigerator. 

We are planning to run wiring to our shelter shed, and water right outside it, since I plan to add two side shelters for gardening and grilling.  The shelter has a conduit for running wiring up by the door. 

I expect to set a shelf with this and the tools, plus the cellphone and iPad chargers to one side inside the door.  I plan to set another shelf with water, food and personal items further back, with the port-a-potty underneath.  

Will have a DeWalt cordless drill/driver set on a charger in there with the tools, too.  The emergency radio (NOAA) and lanterns run on batteries, and the radio also crank charges. 

I have about gotten Mike to agree to set one of his three chainsaws in there, underneath the tool shelf, and bury the gas mix outside, in a five-gallon bucket sunk in a post hole, covered with soil.  He was more open to that when we talked last night.  How deep do you think it needs to be under soil cover?

Do you have an airbed in yours, in case the kids need to bed down, to wait out a storm system?  I am kind of torn on that question.  We could end up just us, or up to four kids, just with the ones living on the place, depending upon where everyone is when we get a Weathercall. 

Not so much a cost issue, as a space available one.  With the two shelves, I could put down a $35 queen sized one on the floor, if it's a long or late wait, and still have an 8x6 area open for some seating.    I have the battery pump for inflating it already on hand, with our RV stuff. 

What do you think?

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I like that the booster unit can be left plugged in without damage.  No worry to keep track of when to charge it, etc.

The gas doesn't have to be buried under soil, merely deep enough so that nothing sticks up above ground level.  A 5-gallon bucket sunk down so the top is level with the ground, or just a hair below, with a lid that snaps on (to keep contaminants out) should be sufficient.  I have been to 3-4 tornado cleanups, and have seen buildings flattened, houses just 'gone', cars upside down in the middle of a cornfield, but things that are sunk in the ground, especially something round, seems pretty safe.  One guy I know suggests that without a 'corner' to grab, it doesn't get lifted out.   Personally, I have an empty 1 gallon can, and a bottle of chain saw premix oil under shelter, and as big a can of gas as I can get to fit in the 5 gallon bucket (I think a 3 gallon one fits if shaped right).  That way, the gas is pure 'gas' and can be put in a car, or ATV, or even tractor (my loader tractor is gasoline powered) if need be, and it is easy to mix a gallon of chain saw gas, if necessary.  I'd buy a new $5 can, and leave it in the shelter, for emergencies only, to eliminate the worry of any gas fumes.  It also makes it easy to dump in the car, and replace with fresh gas every now and again.

We don't have a mattress of any kind in our shelter, just some folding chairs, but again, I don't remember ever being in there over an hour at a time.  In fact, 15-20 minutes is probably average, although if I were building my own (ours was already here when we moved in) I would make an effort to make it more comfortable, instead of just a small concrete room.  I've been toying with the idea of running power inside, for a light and to run a radio, but haven't got it done yet.  Just being able to save the flashlight batteries would make that a good idea (you did remember extra flashlight batteries, right?

Speaking of flashlights, I would definately use nothing but LED flashlights anymore, for the amount of light they put out, and battery life.  Many have 2 or more settings, depending if you need maximum light, or to extend battery life.   If navagating the darkness is a concern, definately consider a 'headlight' that you wear like a cap, so you can have both hands free.  You can get one bright enough to walk around comfortably, that uses standard AA batteries, for about $10, delivery included.  A penlight with a clip that allows you to attatch it to the bill of a cap works well, too, and can be attatched to a rain hat, in a pinch.

In addition to the 'flags' suggestion earlier, a friend on the FD suggested road flares, or chemlights (light sticks) in differing colors, for the same reason.  Should a storm pass by at night, you can hang a red 'light' as an aid signal.  You can decide meanings for other colors, just keep the code simple (green - we're OK,  yellow - no one hurt, but could use assistance,  red - someone hurt/missing/need help now, is what we go by)  So far, we've just used the flags, but at under $2 a pop, I'm going to get some of those, too.  I think they have something like a 20 year shelf life, and give off light all night.

With any luck, you will never need any of this stuff.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The guys will be needing to sink a few post holes for the side sheds I want, anyway, so digging a couple extra ones ought not be a big deal. 

I think I would want them under the gardening shed side. If I remember right from when we installed our energy-free waterers for the sheep, a 12-inch hole will take a give gallon bucket like it was made for it. 

I liked the way that Energizer could stay plugged in, too.  I have a hard time tracking things like plugging in and unplugging things.  Better to have a safety reature that allows it to stay on the socket.  Worth the $20 more to me. 

LED lights are a good idea.  If you wire, do it so you can use LEDs in the fixtures...read the package, so you know the fixture is safe with LED bulbs...not all used to be, when they first released them on the market.  I have a couple of Coleman battery lanterns we will use out there. 

I like the chemlights idea, too.   May pick up a handful at Lowe's when I go next time. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

If I were to wire my shelter, I'd plug in one of these, as well.  It can be set to turn on automatically, in case of a power outage:

http://www.amazon.com/Greenlite-NL-WH-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B000A396CA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334...

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Be cautious of anything that burns oxygen.  Carbon monoxide.  Detectors are cheap, but they have a short shelf life.

0 Kudos