cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonBailey64
Veteran Contributor

Do any farmers here use divining rods to seek out new water wells?

Do you pay some fancy scientist good money by the hour instead whether he is productive or not?

Which is the most economically-efficient way for farmers and ranchers to procure water resources for irrigation or livestock watering? Which ways work the best? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dnorris1
Contributor

Re: Do any farmers here use divining rods to seek out new water wells?

I've never used them to "witch a well" but I have used them, with sucess, to locate underground water lines.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Watched an electric compsny guy witch underground wires many years ago. In general, anywher we punch a hole over a foot deep, we can find plenty of water.
0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Kay that is one of the best points I have read in a long time.  And it has proven true for me as well. 

My greatest success in finding water is to look where it is.  Not where it ain't.   A hole in the ground never lies...

"Do any farmers here use divining rods to seek out new water wells?"

yes ---But noone is going to admit to it. 

It works, as Kay so perfectly points out, when you use it where the water is.  It lies to you otherwise....

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I am going to test my theory shortly, driving a joint and point, to see how deep we need to go for a well to water in a pasture remote from our existing wells. No permit is required for agricultural wells, and I will risk less on the materials than apermit would cost, befire we scratched a dent in the dirt.

If there is water there, I bet we'll find it....
0 Kudos
Waterlooiowa
Frequent Contributor

If the tile lines are running I can use 2 pieces of #9 wire bent into an L  shape to find them.Just hold them loosely straight in front of you and when they turn you are over the line. Most of our wells are 100-150 feet deep so have never tried to witch one of those

0 Kudos
OKdon
Senior Contributor

It's been a few years ago but when I drilled a well my driller man showed me how the divining rod worked. More correctly it was a forked divining stick. He told me we need to hold the stick out in front of us and keep your eyes focused upward and as soon as there was a clear spot or no tree branches over hanging you mere point the divining stick down ward where you want to drill. The result being that there are no trees as an impediment for the drilling derrick.

I listened and watched intently and fell for it hook line and sinker!