cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Do any of you from eastern Nebrask know this guy? (dairy stuff)

I was just wondering if any of you have had any info or contact with this guy?  My understanding is that this guy is building this farm to be closer to the proccesor of his milk.

BRADFORD TOWNSHIP — If you've been curious about the possibility of a new, 5,200-cow dairy farm east of Janesville, Tuesday is your chance to learn more.

Nebraska dairy producer Todd Tuls will host an open house to give members of the public a chance to learn about his proposal. Tuls milks 10,000 cows on two farms in eastern Nebraska.

He wants to spend $35 million to build a farm on a 160-acre parcel at the intersection of Highway 14 and Scharine Road in Bradford Township. The site is about eight miles east of the Janesville city limits and 12 miles west of the Walworth County line.

The facility would include six freestall barns, each more than 300 yards long. It also would include four manure-storage lagoons that could hold 80 million gallons of waste.

Tuls has signed contracts with local property owners to apply the waste created by his cows to farm fields.

The manure could be spread on the field in solid form or injected into the soil in liquid form.

Tuls also is applying to pump wastewater from the lagoons onto growing crops through center-pivot irrigators.

This method of applying waste is common in western states, although it is not common in Wisconsin.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources has not approved Tuls' application. Nor has the town of Bradford.

Tuls must apply for many permits from the state, the town and Rock County. The two biggest permits he needs are a town of Bradford conditional-use permit and a permit from the state to discharge wastewater. Both are needed because of the large number of animals proposed for the site.

Tuls plans to break ground in March.

I don't understand why he is building this size setup with out closing down another.  JR

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: Do any of you from eastern Nebrask know this guy? (dairy stuff)

I live about 80 mi. from Janesville and have been following him through the state ag papers. According to the press, he has built 2 large dairies in Neb. which are being run by family members now. He says he's good at building and starting up these large dairies and if you like to dairy, Wi. is the place to be. His words. There is a Wi. based group that milks 16000 or so on 3 sites in Wi that wants to build a 4500 cow dairy in 2011 and another 4500 in 2012. Can't say they don't have experience.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

This is a real discussion topic ! ? ! ? !

0 Kudos
Reader

Yep, I think you should welcome him with open arms so he gets the heck out of NEBRASKA.  Wouldn’t  you like lagoon waste being sprayed several miles in every direction threw center pivots each fall or spring?  Wouldn’t you or the neighbor like getting paid for having to pump out you farm ponds and restocking the dead fish when a lagoon over flows?  Do you like center pivots that get stuck when lagoon waste is applied near the river?  Do you like the idea of manure being pumped at a high presser every directions miles from the dairy so more people can enjoy the smell on the farm ground a crossed the road from their home?  Do you like having neighbors that would rather save money on cost of fertilizer over you right to breath and have clean water?  Do you want more jobs for Hispanics and hire more teachers for the kids that come with them who don't speak English?  

Do you want to figure out how you can pay for enforcement when they knife in the lagoon waste and it runs off the fields, a center pivot gets stuck, or a lagoon over flows and all the other problems that much lagoon waste  will cause from a confinement that size.  You can just spend the money to pay your DNR people  to help him engineer a way around it so it don’t happen and release him form any liability if it does because he did what the DNR said to do.  Which is always the case its never any ones fault, accidents just happen you can’t control every thing and if you could it would cost too much money and that would be too much to ask so you deal with the consequences instead.   

You will get not only one huge dairy and probably in a few years another one that size like he did here.  Also every milk cow has to have a baby each year and cows have to be raised to replace the ones that don't give  the amount of milk  for the most profit,  so you will get a few more feed lots called growing stations. They are 1000, to 2000 head in size and since they are not as profitable he will let some local take the risk for him.  Expect to benefit from them also.  Don’t worry they get equip money or subsidized loans and if they can’t pay them back it gets worked out so the taxpayers lose not you. Its called economic development!

I hope he move there, he might as well, he don’t live near the 2 huge smelly dairies he has in Nebraska.  He lives 35 miles or more away for them. 

Check out http://polk.gisworkshop.com/PolkIMS/servlet/Report?pid=720010227 and see what he will spend for taxes, is it worth it?  Even if you double it for the 2nd one in Butler county it is not enough for  what the local people who live with in 10 miles of his two here think it is worth, unless your a tenant farmer applying untreated lagoon waste to rented farm ground owned by absentee or retired farmers living else where who don’t know what that tenant is doing with their land and don't care what the neighbors think..    .Ask for a breakdown of that 35 million and see how much of it you get.  How much of that money is real money or cow crap spilling with a fairytale dairy council twist added to make a fool of any one seeing dollar signs above the environmental risk and quality of life the people have in the area.

Best wishes

Pinkyd  

Nebraska

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

pinkyd thanks for sharing.  He won't be close to me.  I am in another state altogehter but I was reading on Dairyline about the building and some of the comments.  Figured someone on here might have some more insight.  In Iowa that would require the same regulation as a sow farm with about 16,000 sows.  Thats a lot of stink for sure.   

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Its interesting you just registered 2 hours ago.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I would think about this size of an operation ----asset or liability?????the locals should look this over very carefully and beware of all the glitter being purposed !!!

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

JR these guys are the reason the dairy industry has soo many problems. Does this guy have enough crop land to produce his own forage? If he doesn't, he will have empty barns eventually, much like the big Dutch dairies that moved into this area years ago. I have seen big dairies fail more than once when it comes to manure storage. The worst manure spill I have ever seen happened when I was stationed in upstate New York. The farm's large lagoon spilled into the Black river, killing ALL fish in the river and eventually ending up in Lake Ontario. The spill made towns 50 miles downstream smell like a dairy farm. The people living in the proposed area must also think about the amount of Hispanic children that will be moving into the school district as was mentioned by a previous poster; that has happened in our local school district. When the town needs a bigger school to deal with more students, the operator that employs the migrant workers will most definitely be against raising property taxes to pay for the new school (ironic). These idiots that for some reason feel they need an operation this size to support their lifestyle will eventually pay for their greed along with the local communities.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Must have as Greenspan would say--exuberance of the market or an ""exuberant  eeggoooo"" with a whole bunch of ME ONLY intentions ---I would think he has his hands full here in Nebraska ---forget the environment and ignore history ? ? ?

0 Kudos
Friend

Do you like to eat? Have you ever thought where your food and milk come from pinky. FYI walmart doesn't make it
0 Kudos