cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Yes and no

That serms to just about sum it all up....

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: Yes and no

The  jingle of feeding the world is a faint memory ?

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Do we need American Agriculture ?

You know, I did a stint in nursing school a few years ago, until my pulmonologist told me to keep my lungs away from sick people.  I have great lung calacity, but not nearly enough resistance to the petrii dish known as Progressive Care.  

The one overwhelming impression I carried away from clinical rotations is this:There are way worse ways to be in this world, than working - especially on your own land - into your eighties.  

If my choice was between wheeled around a nursing home, fed pudding laced with crushed pills that cause more problems than they solve, or being run over by a cow, I would say, " Lead me to the pasture." 

0 Kudos
ECIN
Senior Advisor

If my choice was between wheeled around a nursing home, fed pudding laced with crushed pills that cause more problems than they solve, or being run over by a cow, I would say, " Lead me to the pasture

KAy I will be there as soon as I can find my lead -  Hey - I know - do you have a extra one I can borrow - can get you there sooner - Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Yes we are living 10 years longer these days, bad news is those extra ten years are spent in a nursing home in many cases.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Guys, I have bad genes from my family  - many die young, usually of heart disease - and even worse habits - which ended up as Type II diabetes at mid-forties. Still, in nursing school in my upper fifties, I was often caring for gravely ill women younger than me.  

I would look at a birthdate  on  a patient chart, and ask myself how anyone could be so sick so young.  Most were headed for institutional care at discharge, because families didn't want to take care of them.  I have told Mike that if I hear " Mama" and " nursing home" out of our kids, he will find me in the deep end with a cinder block tied to my big toe.  

The main difference appeared to be economic, but I am sure it is that and social, too.  My MIL is 101, and living in a group home where they are given wine snd cheese every morning at 10:30, otherwise treated royally..yet, she says she only wants to lay down and die.  Exactly what her two children need to hear, when they are working to provide her with such excellent care.  

That cow is sounding better all the time....

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Wow there are some interesting thoughts in this one......

My mind bounced all the way through it....... and ended up wondering if my big toe would be strong enough to keep my spare tire under water....  We could chain the concrete block to my belt, but then there is that problem of keeping a belt on a bowling ball....and if the alternative is oatmeal laced with meds..... i hope I can still make him or her smile and have a better day in those circumstances..

BA we have reached a point where the US gov. buys more food than any of us can guess.... That is where the cheap food issue resides.... Fat and lazy voters are a big plus when all that voters require of leadership are promises and immage.  Add in feeding the school kids, the military and all the public assistance voters...

As to the question "does the world need american agriculture?",  I am making one assumption of Elcheapo's question,,, he most likely has a different picture of "american agriculture" than I do and we all can slide into the slippery slope of "family farming" and being the "simpleton" who stayed on the farm(oftern the view of our urban cousins) etc etc.  But If you are refering to the PRODUCTION created by american agriculture... the answer has to be yes.....  There is just too much of the worlds food sourced here.....and most of the worlds Ag inovation...........

But if the question deals with a defined lifestyle centering on an independent spirit and a work ethic.  The answer probably is NO.

We are in a change cycle and we are not what we were just 30 years ago....  The farm does not have the options it once had.  Nor the ability to go independent...off the grid....tighten the belt etc....  pigs, poultry, dairy(somewhat), veggies, fruits, citrus, cattle not far behind etc etc   Are or Are at least largely corporatized now.  In most of these, if you produce enough to make a decent living independently, regulation will keep you from competing with the corporates...

Technology is solving the limitation problems of "large scale" everything(including government)....

But if the question is America's production... the answer is yes, the world needs us, the world needs a reliable source and there are not many places in the world can match the production and development of the Mississippi/Missouri valleys and the west coast....

Or the meat production of the high plains and the vast areas of poultry production.

Farming is a choice and I live next to two young farmers that exemplify the issue.  One has chosen to become a manager for a larger entity and enjoys the perks that come with, manages a crew and many acres largely without the financial strains,  and the other is going to fight for his independence to the bitter end.... One should always be able to evaluate his or her circumstances and understand life is about adaptation and sometimes change...  And sometimes priorities are bigger than preserving the past....or should be...

k-289
Senior Advisor

Sw  - good food for thought - interesting views you have put out there and it is - I would asume each one's choice of being a simpleton or a  serf  to the wimms of a '' corp report in '' being a hero 1 minute and your carcass asked to clean out your desk the next day--- I have personally withnessed excellent employes and executives of the '' business model '' having the rug pulled from under their feet at the eye blink--- Your last paragraph should be examined carefully and thinking one position has a more secure setting than the other could go either way with managing human capital can get interesting over night as I sure you are aware of ---Latest case in point get your ''United Flight '' - Newark  To  South Carolina  NOT  boarding at gate 1 -C A N C E L E D   

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

289    I am certainly not pretending there is security in anything.... I don't think it is a healthy goal(security).... at least not in a vocation..

Living in a community of former Enron employees I understand.  And having sons who grew up in the tech boom where a great job had a 4 year life...

I think a certain level of insecurity enhances productivity... and is necessary in all levels of society....

My only point is, with that understood, we need to keep an eye on the temperature of the water in the pot where we reside, and be willing to look for changes that are happening around us.  Most of them will happen with or without us......  

Individual farmers and other employers can be as ruthless as the Corporation without a soul.. 

And an airport is a great place to watch human nature at work...... One of those most comical locations to watch those "Fighting the system" battles........  and in old Dodge City the answer is still the same as it was in 1885,,,,,, Yes, maam weere two hours late, just go back in thar and file a complaint. There'll be another stage(train) about this time tomorree.......

0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

SW   -makes me guess how Mr Smisek at U A L will distibute his 4 million golden parachute $$$ to legal consul and how many blue collars got wacked in this putirde goings on- --Pail in comparrison to the Eron deal also and it's interesting though--- Folks involved with K lay & Company here were to to hold tight and things will work out - un hun - example expert advise --- 

0 Kudos