cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Do you drug test?? Even with 1-2 employees??

I was visiting with a friend this week about the problems in a Texas community that had a large number of layoffs in the gas and oil industry.  Seems as numbers were being laid off, crime was rising.  Especially theft...

We went through the unfortunate process of hiring some new employees last year and the subsequent loss of 2/3 of hired within a year.

Noting that a theft problem escalated during the same time period... along with a couple of other criminal issues revolving around false claims by applicants.... like the existance of a drivers license or a criminal record,,,, no lets call that being wanted by law inforcement.... 

It was an eventful year of education...

But my question is this in respect to BA,

Do you drug test employees and contractors who work for you on the farm???

We have always trusted and had very little problems, but it seems to me that we are more at liable for problems caused by a drug user in our equipment if we don't drug test than if we do??   

And maybe to be in business, drug testing is the law??

Would you exempt your family or a relative??

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Do you drug test?? Even with 1-2 employees??

It`s a pretty big problem SW, I afraid if drug testing was really implemented it would be hard to find employees.  But there`s liability, if you hire a doper and he`s driving you tractor down the road and gets in an accident while high..or even if he`s sober a tricky lawyer might make an issue of in in court.  Then there`s the loss of productivity and possible theft and just the all around PIA of dealing with an employee with substance issues.  Then some dopers can perhaps function just find on the job, but on their days off get loaded.

Something has to be done.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

I would like to reference BA Deere's entry in the Forum -----  26 OVERDOSES IN 4 HOURS WEST VIRGINIA TOWN

Not many comments yet on it....... In the Forum...... go figure??

Thanks BA it is an expanding epidemic we ignore ......... or at least try to...

What direction do we go as a country... spend for treatment?  as one candidate says  or Close a border? as another says..

And what do we do as employers and Fathers, uncles or friemds??

0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

What is a drug and what do we think about it?

There are laws about alcohol use, differerntly enforced in different places.  Some state have legalized marijuana.  Some social subsets use cocain regularly.

Meth is demonized, but only poor, ragged ignorant people use meth, right?

What I'm saying is the country doesn't have any consistent consensus on drugs and it never likely to have.  In that case, one has to look out for one's self.  

I don't have an easy, good answer for you.  Buy a machine and don't hire anyone.  Seriously, we all do that.  But it doesn't always work.  Sometimes you need people.  Maybe whatever is customary in your neighborhood.  What a cop-out answer.  Maybe ask your legal advisor.  I'm not much help.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Thanks Jim,

It seems obvious that most avoid the discussion....  and sometimes it seems like most who read here have no employees.  Yet I know the number of H2A foreign workers farming in the midwest from N. Dakota to Lousiana and it is a big number.  Along with the number of illegal and semi illegal that serve as farm workers in our part of kansas .............. well there are more of them than kansas residents working on farms in many areas...

So I been asking around....... The alfalfa supplier/grinder/trucking company............. The grain hauling company ......... The coop .........the Airport manager.......... The resteraunt manager ............  The seed/chemical co representative........ The farm machinery dealer ..... a neighbor who employees several...... The fuel supplier.........that is it so far..

ALL are testing randomly and often,  and most say ------- "your an idiot if you don't .... you have too much liability"

0 Kudos
napole99solo
Friend

In my opinion, the topic you raised is vital. In the past, I've selectively asked my employees to take drug tests when I felt it was necessary. Everything was fine for a while, but then I had a few unpleasant incidents, after which I changed my mind. Now I ask all my employees to take tests from time to time, and no one has any problems. I managed to present them with the idea of testing correctly.

0 Kudos
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Thank you...... I am amazed you read back that far.

some of my topics are for amusement but this one was dead serious.  I appreciated Jim's comments and miss his entries.

I was discouraged at how few participated on this one.  Substance abuse is such a destructive topic in the US.  All businesses are affected.  Families are affected and if not, their friends are.  Obituaries, even in the Covid year include lots of young people with serious addictions.  Our leaders as well as out citizens tend to ignore the problem.  And we really do very little to fight the problem.  In fact we have citizens who fight for the supply of drugs to keep coming so their child can get what they want so badly.

Paying people who don't work has contributed to the problem.  And I doubt there is anyone who doesn't know someone who is caring for a damaged family member or lost a family member.

The real pusher on the subject was my insurance company representative.  He insisted we test.  Locally we have several large trucking companies that submit their employees to a private company for testing.  They are called in randomly.  Some of the larger farms in the area participate in that service.    Yet to this day there is not a requirement for drug testing to get a drivers license

0 Kudos