cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Do you take good care of yourself?

When I was younger, it kind of sucked.  When I was in school, when it was really hot, I would dehydrate a little, and lose salt &electrolytes.  This would cause me to get lightheaded, or even pass out.  NOT cool, when this is still happening from time to time when you are a Junior in high school.  Early in my Junior year, on a particularly hot day, we had gym class outside, and I had art class next, just before lunch.  Sitting quietly, working on my project, when the teacher calls 'clean-up'.  I was sitting cross-legged, and stood up all at once.  I felt the room start to wobble, and next thing I knew, the art teacher was standing over me, probably more pale than I was.  I said I was fine, that sort of thing happens from time to time.  He insisted I go to the school nurse, who, among other things took my blood pressure.  She took it a couple times, got a different blood pressure cuff, and took it again.  My PB was 80-something over 50-something.  She asked if I got dizzy doing sports in hot weather.  I said 'sometimes'  She sent me to lunch, ordered me to put extra salt on everything, and told me to eat lots of salty foods & drink lots of fluids.  Followed her advice, and now I'm down to one dizzy spell a year, or less.

You must be in better shape than I am.  It seems to take 2 weeks of walking pipe to get fully used to it, and 2 days to get back out of shape.  Many people use a golf club to open and shut gates, I even know of one guy who uses an extended golf club, and rides his horse.  I use a short-handled hammer on purpose, and bend at the knee to reach down to the pipe.  I only use an extended hammer if my knees or back get a little sore.  Sort of like taking the stairs instead of the elevator 2-3 flights a day, it forces me to get a workout, and stay more flexible.  I just wish there was a good way to do that while in a combine.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

This is a really good topic of discussion and you're right Kay/NC about people not being concerned about their health often enough. It doesn't seemt o cross my mind that my health is in jeporday unless Im doing osmething completely dangerous when Im working and even then I don't give it much thought bcause I have been doing this since I was young. Thanks for the snap back into reality because it really does matter that I take care of myself. Oh and I know what it feels like to get sweat out the cobwebs I hate getting hurt and having to sit even a day out not working. It just doesn't seem right no matter how much pain Im in, but I leanred the hard way you've got to let yourself heal before getting back into it. If I had listened to my wife when my knee was giving me trouble I probably wouldnt have town my acl and had to sit on my butt for months. Worst time of my life!

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

OH, I am WWWAAAYYYYY out of shape.  I figure if I start to train religiously now, I may make it back to decent condition by age 60 (I turned 57 in June).  

Only started training in Taekwondo right before I turned 52, since people in my family routinely have a history of dropping dead of heart attacks at 51.  It took about three years to shed the weight and get the muscular tone I wanted. 

Could have still gotten better, but got myself into nursing school and wasted about 18 months, only to find out I cannot physically tolerate working around sick people...my immune system was just letting me down.  I went thourgh pneumonia last winter, then minor surgery in July, and had problems healgin for the first time in my life. 

Started training again a time or two a week in September.   Got in two classes last night, but the second one was mixed with so many beginners, it hardly counted for exercise. 

I did spar a bit in the first class with one of the 'tween girls, and we worked each other out pretty well.  I love to work with a kid who listens, and when we got done, she thanked me and told me I had "motivated" her.  What a compliment.  I will be on a positive note for days on the back of that one. 

I think that most problems people have with body movement and health have to do with bad mechanics...they move a joint in the wrong plane, or torque their lower back with improper lifting.   Of course, a bad back is very often the product of weak abdominals. 

I have never had low BP except during my third pregnancy.  It was miserable...I would pass out six or seven times trying to get from the bed to the kitchen to fix breakfast for the two toddlers I already had.  One morning, after I got feeling pretty good and drove to the family doctor, I think it was not even as high as your passout numbers.    My OB told me to lie down, put my feet up and eat a candy bar.  Wonderful prescription!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sorry to hear you tore the ACL.  That's a bad one to tinker with. 

Glad to hear you are getting back up to speed.  I ma having to take it in stages.  Trained two classes in martial art last night, and daughter dragged me out of a nice, hot bubblebath, to take a two-mile walk this morning.  Finally cool enough to discourage the mosquitos! 

I guess you have already been told that ligament may always be a weak point.  I find that bone heals completely - my Sikh ortho used to always say he made my breaks "bettter than new" - but, connective tissue is trickier to mend. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Harvest is the worst time for healthy living.  Sitting in a seat (tractor, combine, truck) shows up big time on my blood sugar.  I am running 20 points higher than normal during harvest.  Less exercise, less sleep, more sandwiches, less vegies and salads. I am lucky to make it to the gym once per week instead of my regular 3 to 5 times per week. 

Anyway finished harvest Sunday and will be at the fitness center in about 1/2 hour.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

At least you are aware and know what your mistakes, however necessary, may be. I think tsoo many ofmus take our bodies for granted, until we break them down. Hard to make THAT parts run, and the wrench hour charges on those repairs are astounding....

Hope you had a good workout today! I got lucky at the do jhang this morning, and was the only one present for class...so, received a private lesson within the normal monthly fee! Got the last two tweaks to my new form down pat...a good day!
0 Kudos