cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Do you take good care of yourself?

We talk about our assets and resources here all the time...land, equipment, money...but, I do not think we often talk about  managing our greatest asset:  Our health and safety. 

Maybe this is more of a wifely concern, and Mike's birthday is today, so I am more mindful of us aging than on other days..  We talk between us about how it feels to not have as much strength and stamina as we once had. 

If anything, we are more solicitous of each other's wellbeing as time goes on...more conscious of each other's needs and comfort.  Occasionally, I have to put my foot down about his safety...he WILL wear those hideous, bright orange chainsaw chaps...no arguing, after the ER trip for the shin ding last spring. 

Most of the time, though, I can simply say, " Is it worth getting hurt for?" , and he will re-think how do get something done.  He is also better at managing his weight and getting enough rest than I will ever be, I am sure.  I know that many men aren't this careful on those counts. 

So, I guess this is that little voice inside your head asking, "Do you take good care of yourself?" 

If you don't, nothing else matters....

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Do you take good care of yourself?

Trying to.  Actually, I think I get enough activity for the most part.  I furrow irrigate, and spend most of the summer walking 2+ miles a day, every day, in knee high boots, and usually carrying a shovel.  Some days I have walked 5+ miles.  However, I don't always eat the most healthy, and I think now that irrigation season is over, I'll need to find some new activity, or cut back on the calories.  One thing I HAVE noticed, is that as I get older, I spend more and more time thinking, is doing X really worth getting hurt over?  Used to be, that cow snorting over her calf was looked at as a 'challenge'.  Now, I start tinking I can wait until she calms down more, and if I can't catch the calf by then, I'll just tag it later, when we give them their shots.  Ditto working on machinery.  I'm not only getting more use out of jack stands, but also things like impact wrenches.  Most people don't think of them as a safety device, but if a breaker bar slips, and you bruise your arm/hand/knuckles, using an impact wrench can actually be safer.  Those bruises that seemed to hurt a half a day, now seem to take a week to heal.

I got my wife a WII, with the WII Fit program, and the balance board thing.  While it may sound corny, they have excercises there that are really a workout, plus the programming tracks how much you excercise, if you are losing or gaining weight, as well as your general fitness level.  We sometimes challenge each other on a rainy day, to see who can burn more calories in a certain amount of time, usually a half hour.  Yes, we're doing odd excercises in front of the TV, but it beats sitting with our butts on the couch.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

It sounds like are quite mindful of this need, and have made conscious decisions to make sure you are fit and healthy. We farmers have lots of war stories to tell, about equipment breakdowns and rogue livestock encounters, among other joys of farm life.

Wnat amazes me is that we tend to think a out these things and ignore the health of ourselves as key elements of pur operations, if nothing more. Certainly, I can say that when my husband has had even minor to middling injuries (he has not been really sick but a handful of times in our 42 year- relationship), ita has thrown a giant monkey wrench in the works.

SF did a post here about a year ago, asking what people were doing to get in shape for harvest, and basically got virtually no replies. That this subject sits unanswered for days on end speaks volumes to me....
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

The problem with harvest for us is we spend way too much time sitting on the combine, and are too tired to do much else than shower & go to bed.  Also, eating habits aren't all that great either.

This year I intend to at least watch what I eat better.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

The prolonged sitting, without climbing down and moving around a bit, would worry me on account of potential deep vein thrombosis. Same issue on long flights or drives in a vehicle.
0 Kudos
k-289
Senior Advisor

Pilots--truck drivers--locomotive engenieers--taxi cab drivers---the list is endless Kay

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Thanks for the reminder.  I try to make it a point to get out every now and again.  We don't have a grain cart, so we unload at field ends.  I find it is helpful to unload at just a fast idle, and walk around the combine, looking for anything amiss.

Also, we need to grease the cornhead snouts every 4 hours, which limits how long I spend in the seat, no matter what.

My brother and I share the same combine, so we also trade off driving it, and the trucks.  Anything to be able to move around a bit every once in a while.

I see some of those guys who spend 10+ hours a day in the combine, and then can't barely climb the ladder down, and wonder to myself if farming that much is worth it.  All the corn in the state, isn't worth your health over.

0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Don't forget mail carriers. Some days we don't get out of the vehicle for 4+ hours. The repetitive motion of delivering to each box (100 or more) is hard on the body. Don't forget sitting in the middle of the vehcle, without the lumbar support the seats provide.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Since arthritis gives me a fit if I sit too long in one place, my limit is about ninety minutes. At that point, I stop and stretch at a rest area or truck stop. The stop I like most has a Starbucks, where I can get an iced tea, to perk me up for the remainder of the drive.

I think people who do sedentary work all the time are better suited to long drives. Aguy like you, who walks a lot on an average day, or someone like me, who can get up and move about the place at will, has a harder time taking the hours immobile.

As for taking breaks, I think it is one of those " can't hurt/ might help" things. Rather do it and not need to, than need to and not do it!
0 Kudos
mijurb
Friend

Why do you grease the cornhead snoots?

0 Kudos