cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Do you take good care of yourself?

I assume he is talking about the bearings in the gathering chain sprockets.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Because there are zerks there!

Actually, my cornhead is so old it still has the zerks at the front of the snapper rolls.  I just call them the 'snoots' since I have to dodge around them to get to the zerks, right behind the gathering chain idler.

0 Kudos
centralillinois
Veteran Contributor

It is well worth the time to update to waterpump style bearings.  You eliminate  a number of grease zerks and they last longer.

0 Kudos
pritchh
Senior Contributor

YES.

Key is don't eat, or digest alternative HFood crackpot stuff and

own cure-you-in15 days, vitimin selling stks but never takle any.

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I thought about it, but to do that, I have to replace the snap rolls, plus the little wedge-shaped thing at the end that carries the bearing now.  Adds up to more than the head's worth.  Besides, I can't sit in the combine more than 4 hours or so at a time without getiing out for a bit, or I'd go batty.  Carrying a grease gun around is the perfect excuse.

Also, I have found if you upgrade to synthetic grease, the bushings in the fronts of our 800 series head go a long, long time if greased every 4 hours, as the book says.  I've replaced the bushings only once in the last 12 years.  The trick is to get out & do it.

0 Kudos
gif4445
Contributor

I took up road biking to replace the old joint-jarring exercises of choice.  Have rode a few state rides and recently biked 500 miles from SC NE to Breckenridge CO.  Oh, and I resigned from a couple of high stress (at least for me) jobs of teaching and coaching.  Those changes have improved overall health status dramatically.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

After watching this tangent on this thread, it occurs to me that farmers are WAY more concerned with the condition of their equipment than they are their own. More likely to know your combine's oil pressure than your blood pressure?!?!

You guys sort of prove my point....
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Hey, I was trying to point out the health benefits of driving older equipment Smiley Very Happy  This way I have an excuse to get out in the fresh air, and walk around a bit, every few hours.  Also, I often work up a good sweat with a wrench set, replacing some worn out part or another.  Guys with new combines just don't have all the health benefits that I do.

Oh, and my blood pressure, last time I can remember, was 96/69, unusually low, especially for someone of my size (6'tall).  If I don't eat enough salt, just getting up fast can sometimes make me a little lightheaded.  In the morning, I need to sit up, wait a few seconds, then stand up.  Low BP runs in my family.  I can't think of anyone, on either side of the family, that died from heart disease of any kind.  My grandpa did have a minor stroke at age 93, but it was so mild, he was back home in a few days.  We tried to put him in the assisted living home, and he said it was for old, helpless people, not him.  The day after he got home, he baked home-made bread.  My BP, and cholesterol are both low, in the 'extremely healthy' numbers.

Probably my biggest fault is lack of will power when it comes to food.  I need a certain amount of salty foods to keep my BP up, but sometimes I get the munchies & eat more chips than I should.  Generally, though I'm more than active enough to work it out.

Combine oil pressure, is also on the low side, but that probably isn't such a good thing.

0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

It also doesn't hurt to get out of the cab to check for a smoldering ember in the combine. Too many fires right now with the low humidity and high winds.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Dude, they need to clone you and splice your genes into about 90% of the population!

After a rotten year and a half of too much studying, being too sick and then getting a slow recovery behind me from a minor surgery this summer, I have finally gotten back into the do jhang in the past month or so. Why is it that three years of getting ripped falls apart in half that time?
Not just physically, but mentally out of shape. Memory and body memory for patterned movements ( we call them poomse) has
really sucked wind until this past week. Getting some nagging small problems resolved sure seems to be helping...it feels good to sweat the cobwebs out!
0 Kudos