Senior Advisor

EPA permit to spray:?

Advocacy groups have convinced a federal judge to make the EPA require permits for some kinds of aquatic spraying.  The comment period is open until 19 July.  The EAP comment request is wide enough that it encourages advocacy groups to recommend EPA require permits on nearly any kind of farm spraying, especially if you have a waterway that discharges into a stream that sometimes runs water.  It's the camel's nose under the tent.

I've had a bogus spray complaint filed against me by a non-ag neighbor who didn't know what he was talking about.  Although proven OK, it took, time and effort to prove myself innocent.  What happens to the guy who makes the complaint?  Nothing.  He can complain again and I'll have to jump through the hoops.  The liabilty insurance people dont' like this kind of attention.

Anyway, here is a paper on it with some links on how others see it in the Illinois extension service.

You have until 19 July to file a comment.

EPA-HQ-OW-2010-0257 is the docket number.

http://www.farmgate.illinois.edu/archive/2010/06/are_you_sprayin.html

"Summary:
Following a court decision the EPA is considering rules changes that have the potential to bring a wide range of pesticide application under control of the Clean Water Act, because of the potential for pesticide residue to find its way to streams. If proposed rules are adopted, and liberally applied to typical weed and insect pest control on Cornbelt farms, then farmers would have to obtain environmental permits to apply pesticides and have a series of expensive follow up activities."