cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Ethanol, CRP and high food prices

Are you ethanol supporters tired of being blamed for high food prices and food shortages?  Have you thought of the effect 31 mill fewer acres (CRP) has on the food supply?  Whether those acres are used for grain or biomass or even cattle pasture, they could be contributing to food security and providing stimulus for rural economies.  At the same time getting ethanol out from under the "food for fuel" criticism.  How about it guys???

0 Kudos
36 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Ethanol, CRP and high food prices

We need to remind consumers that a large part of their food bill is PROCESSING and PACKAGING ( microwave ready and single serve, maid service as I like to call it) and the farmers share is nickles to them. We can't raise theif food bill much and we can't lower it much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

We should remind consumers that a good part of the corn used for ethanol is returned back to the farmer as livestock feed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Bingo!   Food prices are not high. Prepared food and speciality foods are high priced. The food industry is given consumers what they want. Convenience and they are paying dearly for it.

It doesn't cost much to buy a pork roast a  few spuds and a can of sweet corn. Mighty fine eating for a few dollars. Ummm that pork gravy is out of this world!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: crap is a disaster

enough food off the shelf to feed 48 million is a reason food is high and the crap program has done ZERO for anybody accept millionares----it is time if the contract guidelines are not met to scrap the program

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

ollie CRP is not all crap. In my county and many around me we have very few CRP acres left. If there is CRP most of that ground wasn't suitable for crop production anyway or are in a form of grass waterways or buffer strips between fields and waterways used to control erosion and fertilizer runoff. CRP was never created for the rich but rather to help struggling farmers get a decent price for there grain in the years of overproduction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

better back up and punt here 80% went to millionares and for the best ground around they got over 350.00 per acre what did they get  there for selling out that does even count the under the table money which was millions --the pols here told the field people not to get caught in a field for fear of pics showing  up  now try and convince america it was good for food prices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

The buffer strip crp probably was the BEST program ever instated by the nrcs. the acres along waterways directly affects water quality. I have landlords that have about 18 acres between them on good quality NCIA soil and no one gets $350/acre/year. Where is that no. from?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

ky and the numbers are real--many farmers sold out too quick-where you are at--and this was just for the first year

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Reader

I know the price per acre has gone up since I signed up, but the better the ground, the more they pay. The first year they also paid some what of a bonus for a ten year or a fifteen sign up, more per acre the first year for the fifteen year sign up.  That will make the first year higher, then normal rate after that.

When corn is cheep then everybody thinks CRP is great for water quality, now when corn is high its "burning food for fuel" line. I go along with the comment of food is cheap, prepared food is high. I haven't seen a slow down at the local pizza buffet yet. A bag of rice or potatoes and a good roast makes a great cheap meal.     

Just my opinion.

0 Kudos