cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: CRP

I think "someone" needs to look at how much water is used to "refine crude" before we start throwing numbers around--then decide--the proposed refinery to be built by Sioux City Iowa was placed next to the Missouri River--can anyone "guess WHY" ? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

it takes one half the water to convert oil as to make ethanol --what other numbers do you need and i see you didnt try and deny it

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

ollie maybe its time you think before you run your mouth! Im going to give you an old Army saying I'm familiar with "If you don't like it, write your congressman"!!! We on this talk group can't do a thing about your grievances. Quite honestly CRP can be a pain in the neck. I have a waterway running through my ground and I thought of putting it into a CRP form of a buffer strip. Once I was told of all the extra seeding and mowing I had to do when FSA wanted me to do it, I just decided to create a small buffer strip of my own and not get paid for it. Im surprised land in KY gets $300 and acre for CRP ground, I could see ground in the heart of the corn belt getting that much. Some ground in the US like it or not is fragile. Travel to Iowa's rolling hills or parts of the great plains and you will see what **bleep**ile ground looks like, this is why no-till is so popular in these parts of the country. You can get mad, huff and puff at me all you want but it wont do you any good. It sounds like you need to take a trip outside Kentucky to see why CRP really exist...... About the only thing I will agree with you on is the fact that CRP money should only be given to acres with a crop history and the recipient of the CRP check should be an active farmer.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

WRONG,  WRONG, WRONG!

It takes 1851 gallons of water to convert a barrel of oil to petroleum products, or 44 gallons of water per gallon of crude.  You need to check your facts before you start barking up this tree.  Ethanol plants use far less water per gallon of ethanol than a gasoline refinery does per gallon of gasoline, not even close.

Cropdoc

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

1850 gal of water per barrel of oil to refine it---19 gallons of gas in a barrel---do I need to continue---point being there is no easy solution with a lot of things being dependent on other resources ----ALL resources aren't "finite"--use them wisely and be careful of "facts" transparency  and who wrote them- this was put out by several parties with "Southwest Florida Water Management District which has a table with "several" tables condensed with water consumption rates--might find it interesting reading ?  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

i travel a lot and everwhere i go i hear the same it is a program for absentee landlords to make big money and has zero impact on helping the environment----it does raise the price of food to hurt poor people and does hur ypung peoples future in ag --so what is the big blessing it produces ---in order to be in it you have to hate poor people-young people and neighbors

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

where did you get these wild numbers

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Do a google search and you'll find it, several sites, or are you to obtuse to look?  Boy this fun!

Cropdoc

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Some of the absent land owners around here are good care takers--some aren't --some deserving--some not---like most things if we removed the inactive farmer list would place my mother out of the loop of getting her CRP payment because she isn't actively farming --although she was in involved doing chores for the previous 40 years ?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Ollie-- did you find it?? lot of  interesting water facts there--everyone needs !

0 Kudos