cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

Word completion

Kay,

Are you using a word completion program?  Some of your posts have odd words in them that look like you were inputting via Swype and accepted a proferred word without checking your copy closely.  I find it happening to me, too, although I don't post online via my Atrix and Swype very often. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Re: Word completion

Jim, unwittingly so, I suppose.  When I input from the office desktop or the laptop, which just came back from HP repair, I scale the font up, so I can see it more easily. 

I am developing cataracts, on top of existing vision issues, some of which cannot be fixed (retinal damage from an accident when I was ten), and the cataracts  aren't bad enough yet to justify fixing.   The eye they are worse in is the one with the rotten retina, so not much point in doing that one.  Smears in the periphery so far....

When I input from iPad or DROID, I am stuck with the smaller screen, tiny fonts on each, and an inability to read easily to edit my posts.  Both devices have dictionaries that they recognize, I think.  iPad especially irks me, since it makes every time I type Its a contraction (it's), which makes me look illiterate. 

I have cursed iPad below for saying what IT wants to say, instead of what I want it to say.  Please bear with me...Sometimes, I am just stuck somewhere, and want to pass the time with you charming gentlemen here....

One thing I will share with you guys: If you adore reading, as I do, and books are starting to be an issue, due to font size, the Kindle does allow you to readily scale font size up.  It makes reading, even without correction in my case, a more comfortable pastime.   

Please bear with me....

0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I don't care for my wife's ipod and its auto spelling correction.  For example, we are on Hughe's Net, because we can't get DSL where we live, and our mail service is dishmail.net.  Whenever I try to login with the ipad, it automatically puts in a space, so it reads dish mail.net and I get an error.  Trying to gue the cursor to that little space, so I can delete it, causes me to be a cursor, as well.  It doesn't matter how many times I type dishmail it keeps coming up dish mail. 

However, when you are sitting around, waiting for the kid to get out of school (our oldest is in Kindergarden) I can see what everyone is up to with the ipad, because the school wireless reaches into the parking lot.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

IPad really screws with my email address, too, whenever I am having to repeat the login process here. I look the DROID better for some functions like texting, since it has a voice recognition ability that is reeall very good. The Bluetooth to my smartphone is totally whacked, though. I get very frustrated trying to use it. BTW, why does iPad want to type Tao eveyrtime I type TO? I mean, I am familiar with the Tao, but why would an English language typing program default to that, rather than to a far more commonly used word? I smell an ancient Asian rat...
0 Kudos
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Advisor

If one goes to Setup-General-Keyboard it opens up a series of options, such as Auto-correction which I suspect defaults to ON.  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Right you are, Jm! I tend to leave default settings in place, since I am not a techie, and figure Steve Jobs probably knows ( knew) best. I turned off auto correction just now, so we will see if that helps or not. Had this whole conversation with our youngest tonight, and she asked me if I think it's time for some Lasik surgery. Probably so, but since i only have one eye worth working on, and would be functionally blind if it went badly, i am hesitant to try that. Maybe when the cataracts in the " good" eye warrant surgery, we can deal with the rest of the stuff that has made it hard to see since i was six....
0 Kudos
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Wife's ipad, and she isn't the best speller.  I think its better to not mess with it since that is how she likes it set.  Really, except for the login thing, it really isn't that bad. 

0 Kudos