cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Excuse me, Mr. Trump

As farmers were stumbling all over themselves to get into the AFBF general session to see Mr. Trump, they were applauding the grandstanding of Executive orders, one ordering expansion of internet access and broadband.  By the way, an EO for this is not capable of doing anything except rallying the troops.  Congress holds the purse strings and will have to pass legislation to fund it.  It may not even have the votes to pass at this time.

Some "facts" in his speech need to be fact checked as well. 

Positive notes include changing the EPA and backtracking WOTUS. 

Negative notes include little mention of cancelling TPP and replacing it with new unilateral agreements, which has not happened yet.  NAFTA may still be held hostage to his threat to cancel.  The good news is he must convince Congress to cancel, for they alone have this authority.  The growing trade deficit would be even worse if it were not for agriculture's positive numbers in exports.  This is now on the chopping block.  Isn't it ironic the only positive thing about America's global export trade may be called upon to take a stupendous hit in the shorts, just to satisfy Trump's campaign promise.

ACA benefactors in rural America who voted for him are in for a wild ride as he sabotages the program's financial stability.

Yet he is a great friend of ag!  Go figure.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Excuse me, Mr. Trump

So, based on your analysis, you are going to figure on using two tin cans and a string for communication and selling your grain at the crossroads.  Do you need a permit for that/

0 Kudos
Advisor

Who knows.  Everyone on this site seem to enjoy watching the slow motion cascading of declining American dominance in all things global.  Agriculture will feel the hit harder than anything else.

https://www.producer.com/2018/01/revived-tpp-threatens-u-s-wheat-sales/

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Would  some 1  elaborate  on  the  area's  in the  Midwest,  or any other locations  that don't have internet service  ? ?  I'm assuming most folks are aware this is 2018 ?

Bottom of Grand Canyon ,  1/2 mile inside of Wind Cave ?     

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Smokeyjay, where was AFBF when NAFTA destroyed a much larger chunk of the U.S economy? Oh yeah, farmers don't care that many more Americans were hurt by NAFTA than gained from it. I work off the farm for one of the worlds largest retailers and Im here to tell you that I can't remember a time when business was so good. Companies are giving bonuses, raising wages and help wanted signs are everywhere. The 2% of Americans involved in farming are concerned right now for good reason, but look at the big picture for a moment.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Those bonuses are here today and gone tomorrow.  You forget that Walmart closed down several hundred Sam’s stores while you were celebrating your bonus.  

They just gave you you a pittance from the Christmas gift in the “tax reform” bill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

blacksands. I'm glad the economy in your area is doing well.  In this area we are not.  Very few good jobs.  I don't consider jobs

at the small hamburger place or pizza place a "good job".  

I have a hard time agreeing the economy is "good"......i'm sorry, I see major retailers going down hill....matter of fact SAMS is closing

a number of stores.....sears, kmart, and others going belly up.

yes the stock market keeps going up, but as some of the market people are saying, it's not because things are so good, there is 

401k money coming in, and it has to go somewhere, bonds and the like are horrible, and just to keep customers, they have to

plug it into the market, because of the returns and the volume.........if you look at a chart is is way oversold.......what happens

when we have a correction........people lose their money, and things going on and on.

We need trade agreements......trade agreements that benefit all industry....it is possible to write one that benefits agriculture and

labor both.......but we have to work on it together, not just stand an yell at each other.

I really have a hard time with those that think ag has had it good for a while.......yes some areas have, but if you look from texas up into

Kansas, there are many producers that have multi bad years due to drought.......while those in the corn belt holler, they don't understand

why we have crop insurance.

a old agent told me the secret to crop insurance is to protect yourself from the big loss........and actually you bet the insurance if

you don't have to collect...........you did well, not having to collect on the insurance.......I know.......the only thing we had at times

is crop insurance for income......and it ain't fun.........oh yes, you don't make money, you just make money to pay bills.

we are approaching a situation where things will have to change......we can't keep going the way we are.....some want "economics" to

take care of the problem.....the simple thing is, while we are the most efficient producers, we are not the lowest cost proucers...we

can not compeate with south America.....note how the trade keeps pointing to them......and these cme people, which are supposed to

be members or our country, point at the lower price, not caring a farthing if we make money or not.......my friend, you tell me I don't

consider the labor unions, you need to go talk to your cme friends what they are doing to their fellow americans.

if we continue, which we cant, when we are at or below cost of production....either land prices must fall.......which would be a domino

effect......if that would happen.....the level of leverage we are at now, the late 70's could be a cake walk.......and needless to say

what it would do to the general economy.

the input suppliers, have not got the message, their prices are too high......one must ask, do we need all these sales managers,

and all these pickups, and advertising, and etc.......just who do you think is paying for it ?  they are unwilling to change their

lifestyle, but we must, so we are able to buy their products.....again, you need to go talk to your friends in those industries

and tell them what they are doing to their fellow americans.

where does this leave us.....very good question.....the way we operate for the last few years.....rather than try to solve a problem, we

bail out...companys and industries have been doing that for the last few years......from the beer companys, to many many others.....

we just prop up the company, make the books look good, and dump it.......that is why we have very few companys owned in the

US anymore, nor factories.......we see the quick buck, that we make, and to #$%@ with the other fellow.

remember, agriculture is a "leader" in economics.........we keep going down......the remainder of the economy is going to be

fallowing...........and as far as we are in debt, and we fall like agriculture has........I just don't know if we can pull it off.

Veteran Advisor

Lots of positions in the warehouse's or stores available for displaced Sam's workers. Walmart, Wells Fargo, AT&T, Chrysler and others are all either raising wages, giving bonuses, or ramping up production HERE in the U.S for a change. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

It was grandstanding to make a point and improve relations with Trump.  A flash iin the pan.  Remember those carrier jobs Trump allegedly saved?  They got laid off, again.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

My BIL works for U-Tech/ Carrier. Yes, he is still losing his job along with some at the Indy plant.

0 Kudos