cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Excuse me, redux

SW, every time you drive down a highway and appreciate the snow plow in front of you, and the salt truck, you are seeing functioning government.  Every time you see fire fighters saving your house or business, you are seeing functioning government.  Every time you see the national guard called out to help in a disaster, you see a functioning government.  Every time you receive your Social Security check, you are seeing a functioning government.  The interstate highway system was the result of a functioning government.  The National Weather service is a functioning system funded by the government.  By the way, the people of this land is part of the functioning government. Hinder them from doing their law given tasks and you hinder them to your detriment.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

My task is granted by government ................. so much for government of the people etc etc etc ..... according to you we only exist because of the government.

I ask you once again ----- if he is as bad as your imagination seems to think....."How did he get elected".....

Impress me a little and show him the respect of the job "he" has been asked to do by the common citizens...... and swallow that condecending ego.   He is the President....................  Who is committing treason?

The anti trump rhetoric is embarrassing ----- and totally disrespectful to the electoral process.............. that is the only Hitler style rhetoric I have seen we are witnessing the "progressive" KKK in action.

When Trump moves to block the election process then you will have credibility.   He is only there because he has the respect of the voters.  Until he is defeated on the ballot, put your gun away Mr. Booth.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Nox, we aren't as far apart as it may seem.  Moral hazard is a concern, but also in the way financiers have lobbied for and encouraged passage of deregulatory legislation which set us up for the fall in the 2007 recession.  No financier has ever gone to jail for the abuses perpetrated in the housing markets, which led to the burst bubble there.

If any governmental dysfunction exists, it is precisely because of the failure of the democratic process to prevent those excesses, but it goes back to the people who put the members of congress into office.

0 Kudos
Advisor

SW, I've known you on this chat site for many years.  We've mostly agreed on many matters, until now. 

You apparently did not read the first lines of the Constitution when it says, "We, the People...".  If you complain about the government, you are complaining about yourself and disparaging the democratic model of the citizen's obligation to vote, to debate, to protest, if need be. The government exists for your benefit.  If you do not like it, vote.  Run for office.  Put your wisdom into practice and take the heat when others disagree with your policy.

On these pages, for many years, the concept of respect for the President has been wanting.  It did not just begin in November, 2016.  You deserve respect for your right to your own opinion, but that does not give you or anyone the right to disparage a different opinion.  Respect is a two-way street.  It begins here.  It ends with POTUS.  Lack of respect for media, regardless of perspective, is disrespecting the Constitution.  Lack of respect for elected officials, regardless of political affiliation, is disrespecting the Constitution.

The rubber hits the road, beyond the rhetoric.  If you are not a part of the solution and do not participate through respectful civil activity, you are part of the problem. I have paid the dues.  Fifteen years of advocacy for farmers across America is time spent in the trenches and brings insights one can only get through those efforts.  Compromise and negotiating is part and parcel of making effective law.  Been there, done that.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I have probably complained about "government"....   and the bigger it gets the less I like it.....and the more it contradicts itself.  And the more we see a battle between state law and the federal ocean of law.  States rights disputes do not have a good history, we seem headed to conflict again in our "states rights" attempt to circumvent federal law in several ways...... drugs and immigration being just a couple of examples.

But Primarily my complaints lie with politics and the way it uses $$$ to place leverage on legistators to "toe the line".  The way it places a national organization of influence peddlers between the congressional district voters and their representative through financing of campaigns and trading favors.... and the way politics funds news networks in exchange for their coverage.... (When election years are the only ones where the news divisions of entertainment networks show a profit, we are not in a healthy position.)

I should not equate the two..... Politics has nothing to do with government, it is just the sickness that cripples it.  Once a representative is in the chamber there should be absolutely no doubt that his closest relationship is to his community at home whether they voted for them or not.  

Carry on your slander.....  I will move on.

0 Kudos
Advisor

The failure to prosecute is why I didn't vote for Obama in '12- did a throwaway. That, and the failure to reverse any of the Bush/Cheney surveillance state.

But the larger matter is why I finally cut ties with the GOP and won't return- it was 80% their deal, and, of course, we're heading back there.

Whatever benefit the economy is getting from deregulation, it is about 90% financial in nature and thus a time bomb. Given that things got moderately cleaned up over the last 8 years it can probably run a couple or more before it blows.