cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

FAUST- How are things looking South of Interstate 80 in Iowa?

Faust- coming down to Iowa this week to meet with my Custom Guys and then to Des Moines to visit family. I am not going to make it south of Des Moines, but curious how things are going south of I-80. Is most of the corn in now? We have Flash Flood watches for the Twin Cities and they are saying as much as 6 inches of rain here by Monday night. My how the weather changes quickly, drought to flash floods.We have had alot of rain here in the Twin Cities the last few days, I even have standing water in my backyard, which is flooding my wife's garden. She says as much money as I have spent on drain tiles on my Iowa farms, we should spend a little and tile her garden. She can be pretty funny at times. Drain Tile a garden. LOL

But give me an update on how things are looking south of I-80. Thanks!!!! 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Advisor

Re: FAUST- How are things looking South of Interstate 80 in Iowa?

rsw- well . . . I have been spraying RR and 24D on bean ground the past four days, have about 450 acres to go and will be done.  It is so Windy today (Sunday) can't do much.  Probably start planting beans in about five days I am putting down a quart of glyo and cut the recommended Pint of 24D to 1/2 pt per acre, it is really knocking down the weeds. 

Had about 2 inches of rain a mile South of me on Thursday, I was lucky enough to miss it all one farm about four miles away got hit by about 1 1/2 inches, but missed the rest. 

Most of the corn is planted down here and most can be rowed so it is off to a good start with plenty of moisture, I think some beans are being planted but we still have plenty of time.  I think that again this year, Southern Iowa has received plenty of moisture, river bottoms were only covered twice, once with the 7 inch rain a few weeks ago, and again when th 8 inches of wet snow melted about ten days ago.  Looks like no peaches this year, the freeze that came with the snow ended that, but the apple trees and cherry trees all made full bloom and look great, they are still blooming.

I would say, that this may be one of those two years in five we have a great crop down here.  That is if we do not get a toad strangler tonight (which we probably will) then we will be busting our ass to get beans planted by the June 15th deadline.   Adios Amigo.  John 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Hey, thanks for the update from south of I-80. Sounds like you may get a good crop this year. We are pretty much done with corn too and the boys are working on beans. I am worried about new crop prices and not sure if we will get another chance to hedge our new crop. We may have to settle for $5 corn and maybe $12 beans. I can make money on those prices, but will miss the $8 corn we had last year.

0 Kudos
Advisor

We got an inch of rain last night, on East I had River Bottom flooded so musta rained a bit more two miles on East of me.  Ground is saturated with all the rain we have had, tile lines are all running, kinda glad I started tiling out farms 15 years ago. lol.   Typical kamakazie farming.  Everything will be shut down for a few days, crops look real good that were planted during the cold spell. Adios Amigo.   John

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes, I have spent 100's of thousands of dollars on tiling over the last 20+ years!!!! Owning Iowa farmland and drain tiling go hand in hand!!!! I spent my first farm profits on drain tiles, the best money to improve the corn yields in Iowa that there is. My wife has a friend that lives in OK City where the tornado went though, she tried to call her to see if her family is ok, but all the phones lines and probably cell towers seem to be down so she couldn't reach her. Hopefully she and her family are ok, they are really nice people with kids still in high school. My wife posted a message on a website for people trying to find people after the tornado, hopefully they will see the message.

0 Kudos
Advisor

rsw - I picked up another 3/4 inch of rain last night, so are entering into the samo samo, in kamakazie country.  

I commented on another thread on this site.  I will do it again!  What I do not understand is why these numb skulls did not have underground protection when they rebuilt that school.  Putting kids in hallways, just does not do it for me.   Hell even here in the rural backwater, many of us have caves on our farms that used to be used for food storage in the winter that we can get in, if a tornado decides to blow us away.

I just think this is gross negligence by hot shot bureaucrats, who dropped the ball.   I mean . . . why would anyone living in Tornado Ally not have an underground shelter for their school children, I guess it must have something to do with what the "experts" said when the constructed those buildings.  

I mean . . . being hit four times in a few years, I would think a light bulb would have come on in someones head down there.  But . . . what can you expect from people living in Oklahoma.  I have two uncles who live there.  Adios amigo. John

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: FAUST- How are things looking South of Interstate 80 in Iowa?OK CITY TORNADO

Say Faust, my wife just recieved a phone call from her friend that lives where the tornado hit, they are all ok, she is one of my wife's best friends so my wife was very worried about her family. Good to know they are ok. There house suffered little damage, but they have alot of insulation and debris in there yard. She said it sounded like 1,000 helicoptors when the tornado went though and even the air seemed to be vibrating, along with there house. The wife is very happy that they are ok.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: FAUST- How are things looking South of Interstate 80 in Iowa?/OK CITY TORNADO

Yes Faust, even the schools here in MN have basements for the kids to go too and OK has alot more tornados than MN. Even when I was a kid going to school in Iowa, the schools had basements we would go to during a tornado warning. I hope they learn from this, seeing young children hurt and killed because of a lack of an underground shelter is a crime in tornado alley.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

It is entirely possible that school buildings still in use would have predated the 1999 EF5 storm that everyone keeps referencing in the reporting. I agree that the citizens there should have raised enough ruckus to get some retrofitting or standalone sheltering completed.

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? One wonders how manybsports complexes have been built with the money in the meantime...never sems to be a problem to find $$$ for athletic programs...but a storm that ravages once a generation or so gets relegated to " we'll find the money someday" status....
0 Kudos
Advisor

It is raining this morning, checked the 15 day forecast predicts rain almost every other day for the next 15 days.   Gotta look at the bright side though . . . 20 days from now prevented planted claims can start being filed with Federal Crop on Soybeans.  I have only let everything lay out one time, but if this keeps up, might be a second time.   Have not ordered delivery of any seed from the dealer so I do not get stuck with them like I do every year.   Might just be a good year to go fishing.   lol. John

0 Kudos