cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Farm Business Idea

Yes Red, I was talking to a guy about I like the concept of coop elevators.  However, paying their prices for inputs and accepting their bids on grain, it`s hard to make it in farming. 

There are so many "farmer dealers" anymore that sell Asgrow beans for $32/bag and generic chemicals for a fraction and the cheapest fertilizer.  Outfits like Titan Pro and Pro Ag.  Years ago a businessman was selling fertilizer competing with the elevator, one day he pulled into a field with what he said was "28%", busybody battle ax housewife climbed up and took a sample out of the tank and sent it in and the result came back "2% nitrogen" so he was done in the community...I guess thank God for battle ax busybody housewives  Smiley Happy   Farmers went back to the elevator thinking that since they were all employees of the coop, there was less incentive to be crooked. 

But as big as these seed, chem, fert warehouse farmer dealers are, they could or maybe are in the soil sampling service as well, but then it`s the whole "asking a barber if you need a haircut" thing.   Smiley Happy

My hero Neal Kinsey has a crop advisory service and doesn`t sell fertilizer, though as often as he recommended ammonium sulfate there were rumors that the AMS industry paid him 10¢/ton Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Farm Business Idea

I knew a guy that put on 28% on his corn and it looked like he sprayed water on it.....you have to trust in the magic potions and need a trustworthy magician to deliver the product.

I use AMS on just about every acre...with the demise of acid rain, we need that to replenish the sulfur in the soils that the crops remove....I think the guy is spot on with the recommendations, and the AMS seems to be the cheapest and most available source. It's a byproduct from factories cleaning up the air, so someone is making money on it at $300 a ton.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I don’t know about anybody else

But heartwarming to see a post from Don Kraft. And one from Kay as well.

0 Kudos